I did a couple of hours work today porting over a session I started
in Pro Tools but never finished. Mostly things went pretty well, but
there were some interface issues I ran into. If there is some agreement
that these make sense, or that I haven't missed how to do some of these,
then I'll enter feature requests.
On the very positive side, I didn't have a single real technical
problem running RG and Ardour together on the same machine at least for
live audio. I did not record any audio, so I still have that threshold
to cross, but I'm not worried.
1) No solo functions. As I was setting up MIDI tracks and listening to
things it suddenly dawned on me that while there is a mute button for
each track, there is no solo function. We need one.
2) One fixed size for tracks in the main track window. Often you want to
see a bit more info. I have previews turned on, but I can't see enough
to make it worthwhile, other than seeing at a very high level whether a
track should be playing or not. It would be useful to have a choice of
sizes for each track. (Pro Tools has 7. I think that's too many, but 3
or 4 would be used.) The one size available in RG is about the same as
the smallest in Pro Tools, which I never use for other than showing the
3) In the Edit as Matrix window, I tended to work with the zoom quite
far out. In this case the moving play line leaves behind a lot of
artifacts as it scrolls across the screen. Zooming i and out again gets
rid of them, but you get new ones of course as it goes playing along.
4) I had fewer problems now than before with selecting lots of MIDI
notes and hearing lots of noise, but it does still happen.
Interestingly, if I do a select all from the menu RG plays no notes,
which I think is the right thing to do.
5) I personally don't like the way the transport is mapped to keyboard
hits, most specifically that most apps (that I use...) use the space bar
to start and stop, but RG is arming for record. I'd very much like to
have a way to configure this for my preferences.
6) I had to do some complete transposes of tracks today. This mostly
worked well, but I had one problem that was sort of catastrophic, at
least if it really happened. I had a complete bass track selected, and
transposed it down believe 3 octaves. Apparently I had gone too low,
and needed to transpose it back up. When I did the track was oddly out
of tune. It turned out that some notes, the lowest ones, were no longer
the right notes. I am guessing that I hit the lower limit on MIDI notes
or something, and that some notes could not be transposed as far as the
y needed to be, so RG probably made them note 0, but the distance
between notes changed. It was a bit of a mess. My input would be that RG
should inform me when it cannot carry this operation out and tell me
without making the change. I am not 100% sure this happened this way,
but something happened...
7) After the recent changes about MIDI interfaces and how it recognizes
multiple ports on a single card I responded that the two ports were
showing up identically when you chose a MIDI channel. This was a problem
today. I'd like to see RG be much more clear about which interface and
which port I am choosing.
In general, while it may look like a lot, I'm really pretty impressed
with how well RG, Ardour and jack all worked together. This is going
pretty well. An upcoming email will once again prod us toward making
transports between these apps talk, but I know the solution for that is
probably quite a long ways away.
Thanks much guys. It's really quite a good app.