I've just uploaded source and binary rpms for the ht://Dig
3.1.6 web site search engine to the htdig.org site, in
http://www.htdig.org/files/binaries/. They can also be downloaded from
the SCRC web site, at http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/htdig/rpms/.
This is the latest stable release and is recommended for all production
This version in particular fixes a nasty security hole in htsearch
that is present in all previous versions, including 3.1.5 and
3.2.0b3. Because of this, it is *strongly* recommended that all users
update to this version.
The following RPMs were built on Red Hat Linux 4.2, 6.2 and 7.2:
htdig-3.1.6-0rh42.i386.rpm (for old libc5-based Red Hat 4.2)
htdig-3.1.6-0rh62.i386.rpm (for glibc-2.1-based Red Hat 6.2)
htdig-3.1.6-0.src.rpm (built on 4.2, but OK for 4.x, 5.x & 6.x)
htdig-3.1.6-0.rh72.i386.rpm * (for glibc-2.2-based Red Hat 7.x, see note)
htdig-web-3.1.6-0.rh72.i386.rpm * (ditto, see note below)
htdig-3.1.6-0.rh72.src.rpm * (ditto)
Verify /etc/htdig/htdig.conf, then run /usr/sbin/rundig after installing,
to (re)build all your databases.
* Note to Red Hat 7.1 & 7.2 users:
The KDE 2.1 package shipped with Red Hat 7.1 uses htdig and htsearch
to index and search its documentation. For some reason, the version
Red Hat shipped is the buggy old 3.2.0b3 beta release, which was later
upgraded to a late-October 2001 snapshot of 3.2.0b4 in the errata update
release packages htdig-3.2.0-1.b4.0.71 and htdig-web-3.2.0-1.b4.0.71.
While less buggy than 3.2.0b3, this is still not exactly stable code.
The "rh72" packages above are meant to be drop-in replacements for the
3.2.0 betas, but because it's a smaller version number (even though being
a more recent release), you have to use the --oldpackage option on the
rpm command to update htdig to this release. You should also find and
remove databases made by the 3.2.0 version and rebuild your indexes,
as 3.1.6 uses a different database version and format than 3.2.0 betas.
The binary packages are split in two because you only need the htdig-web
package for allowing searches from your web site, while the htdig package
is sufficient for KDE's khelpcenter search tool. All this may be academic
because htsearch support was dropped from khelpcenter in KDE 2.2, which
shipped with Red Hat 7.2.
Name : htdig Distribution: (none)
Version : 3.1.6 Vendor: (none)
Release : 0 Build Date: Fri Feb 01 10:09:57 2002
Install date: Fri Feb 01 10:12:02 2002 Build Host: cliff.scrc.umanitoba.ca
Group : Networking/Utilities Source RPM: htdig-3.1.6-0.src.rpm
Size : 3809910
Packager : Gilles Detillieux <grdetil@...>
URL : http://www.htdig.org/
Summary : A web indexing and searching system for a small domain or intranet
The ht://Dig system is a complete world wide web indexing and searching
system for a small domain or intranet. This system is not meant to replace
the need for powerful internet-wide search systems like Lycos, Infoseek,
Webcrawler and AltaVista. Instead it is meant to cover the search needs for
a single company, campus, or even a particular sub section of a web site.
As opposed to some WAIS-based or web-server based search engines, ht://Dig
can span several web servers at a site. The type of these different web
servers doesn't matter as long as they understand the HTTP 1.0 protocol.
Release notes for htdig-3.1.6 1 Feb 2002
As with previous releases, this version cleans up some remaining bugs and
adds a few heavily-requested features. As the latest stable release, it is
recommended for all production servers.
* Fixed another nasty security hole in htsearch, which would allow a
denial of service attack or forcing htsearch to read in config files
outside of the configuration directory.
* Fixed some problems with htmerge, including problems with words
beginning with special characters and merging multiple databases.
* Fixed a bug in handling hopcounts.
* Fixed problems in handling non-standard relative HTTP redirects.
* Fixed bugs in external parsers support including being confused by
charset information in the Content-Type header and handling binary output
from external converters.
* Fixed bugs in the default English endings database. (Under ispell,
it wasn't quite intended for the accuracy needed for our usage.)
* Fixed additional bugs in the endings fuzzy algorithm.
* Fixed bugs with compiling with gcc-3.0 and later.
* Fixed bugs compiling and running on Mac OS X.
* Fixed problems with servers not returning a Last-Modified date--now
assums indexing time as modification time.
* Fixed a variety of bugs in the HTML parser to more flexibly handle
* Fixed problems in the TCP connection code and will more reliably
timeout when a connection hangs and will retry bad connections several
times before giving up.
* Added the -m "minimal" flag to htdig for only indexing a set list of
URLs and made the -l (log) flag the default behavior so that htdig will
stop and restart automatically.
* Added htdump and htload programs for dumping ASCII representations
of the databases and reloading the same.
* Added support for htnotify to collect multiple URLs and allow easy
customization of notification messages, including the new attributes
htnotify_replyto, htnotify_webmaster, htnotify_prefix_file, and
* Added a new "accents" fuzzy algorithm to morph accents, including
the new accents_db attribute.
* Added a 'list all' feature to htsearch with a query of '*' or the
* Added date restricted searching to htsearch including relative
* Added documentation on running ht://Dig and the rundig script.
* Added METADESCRIPTION and NSTARS variables to the htsearch templates
as well as support for $=(var) template variable references.
* Added new config attributes to htsearch for restrict and exclude
which work like the normal htsearch form variables if the form variables
are not set.
* Added many new attributes, including ignore_dead_servers
description_meta_tag_names, max_keywords, translate_latin1,
url_rewrite_rules, search_rewrite_rules, anchor_target, ignore_alt_text,
search_results_contenttype, boolean_keywords, boolean_syntax_errors,
multimatch_method, maximum_page_buttons, max_excerpts, plural_suffix,
any_keywords and use_doc_date.
* Extended the build_select_lists attribute to support select
multiple, radio boxes and checkboxes.
* Revised the documentation to make it clearer in parts, including the
* Updated various contributed utilities including doc2html, xmlsearch,
rundig.sh, htparsedoc, acroconv.pl, multidig, etc.
* A variety of other bug fixes, and many documentation updates. See
the ChangeLog for details.
* Once again, thanks to everyone who reported bugs and bug fixes.
The full ChangeLog for this release is available from:
Gilles R. Detillieux E-mail: <grdetil@...>
Spinal Cord Research Centre WWW: http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/~grdetil
Dept. Physiology, U. of Manitoba Phone: (204)789-3766
Winnipeg, MB R3E 3J7 (Canada) Fax: (204)789-3930