At 04:40 PM 10/11/2001 -0400, Jeff Johnson wrote:
>We went live today with one of the sites we are working on. I didn't
>expect to go live today but it was either that or wait a month so we
>pushed ahead. Hopefully it works as expected :)
>This is running FreeBSD, PostgreSQL, Webware, Cheetah and FunFormKit.
>Any suggestions appreciated.
Overall it looks great! And I'm very excited to see such a high profile
site backed by Webware.
- I get the impression that your IMG tags don't specify width and height,
because the layout changes after the icons and photos fill in. Adding those
specs would make the interface feel smoother.
- Your photo icon for search results should have a transparent background
OR you should show a different one on the rows that are gray (instead of
- It would be cool if I could click on a heading to sort by that in the table.
- It would be cool if I could click a ? next to a heading like BD/BA in
order to get pop up help on it. On the other hand, it was really obvious
under the detailed listing what that was, so maybe it's not an issue.
- For Price (like $249,900.00), I would not show cents. It always looks to
be zero and even if it weren't, it's neglible on prices like $249,900.32.
- The city crime info is really cool, but it would be much more useful if I
could easily compare that to the county, state and country to get a feel
for whether or not these numbers are high or low. Frankly, I have no idea.
- Formatting under School Information looks a little strange. I would
expect it to look more like Listing Information with the alternating colors.
I can see the relationship between the collapsed vs. expanded view of
schools and how the formatting probably fell out that way during coding.
But I think tweaking the collapsed view to look "right" would be worth it.
- One of the properties supposedly had a photo, but it was really an image
that said the photo was temporarily unavailable. You might want to find a
way to manage or detect that.
- Your "powered by" logo in the lower right hand corner is not clickable
(to go to your company or provide more information on the service/engine).
- On toolbars like:
| HOME | LOGOUT | CANCEL | SEARCH | HELP | CONTACT US |
I prefer no separators at all. If you use a in place of | you get
enough space and the look is clean. Of course, that is a personal preference.
At least make your bars a dimmer color than the text, like what is done in
the Lycos Real Estate tool bar up higher.
- Dates like 2001-08-25 feel like programmer stuff. Perhaps Aug 25, 2001 or
8/25/2001 would be better display formats.
- It would be nice if you could extend the navigation path up top:
LOCATION: Lycos > Real Estate
With something like:
LOCATION: Lycos > Real Estate > Foreclosures > California > Anaheim
or whatever makes sense.
Again, you've done a great job and I found the site useful, responsive and
easy to read and navigate.
I can't wait to announce _my_ site... but it's not finished.