Cesar Strauss wrote:
> Charles Wilson wrote:
>> Well, I spent some time on this, without success. I was able to get the
>> compilation to succeed, install, etc -- for both vim 7.1 and the current
>> vim-5.8 code in the mingw CVS repo.
>> However, in *both* cases, the vim executable was non-functional: on
>> launch, it immediately exited without any error code, error message or
>> coredump. Nuthin'. (sure, 'vim --version' works, but not *editing*.)
> I did build a functional vim from the mingw CVS repo. I don't think I
> needed any further patches.
> Did you install the termcap library from the CVS repo before building?
> Try installing this file as /etc/termcap:
As it happens, the problem IS related to termcap -- the library, not the
/etc file. Here's the story:
I discovered that the info.exe program in the msys core snapshot (from
texinfo-4.3) does NOT appear to do this (from the cygwin man page,
The first non-option argument, if present, is the menu
entry to start from; it is searched for in all `dir' files
along INFOPATH. If it is not present, info merges all `dir'
files and shows the result. Any remaining arguments are
treated as the names of menu items relative to the initial
What I observed was that only the first `dir' file found on the INFOPATH
was used. So, I figured this was a new feature, added to texinfo
sometime between 4.3 and 4.8a. So, I downloaded and built texinfo-4.11.
And it coredumped. So, two programs built with my toolset, which has
been working flawlessly until now, both died unexpectedly. What did
they have in common?
Both were the first tools I've built recently that used libtermcap.a --
which I built just prior to my vim experiments, from the msys CVS repo:
So, I downloaded the cygwin termcap package and built it (with a few
necessary changes to allow re-autotooling. Plus, I updated the
installable termcap database; IMO this new version is much better than
the one in *checkout*/mingw/msys/dvlpr/etc/termcap -- I get *color*
syntax highlighting instead of bold/underline, in the msys-rxvt window).
Anyway, using this NEW libtermcap.a, I then rebuilt texinfo -- and it
worked fine. Then, I tried rebuilding vim-7.1 -- and it, too, worked
great -- I was even able to run vim's internal testsuite. (This build
includes all 116 "official" patches, plus a forward port of the
So, I now have three new packages to upload for you, Cesar:
> I think I will prepare source packages with a build script and patches,
> such as you did on the msysDTK packages (it's a great idea, by the way).
Thanks -- can't take credit, tho. It's a VERY stripped down version of
what used to be a common method of packaging for cygwin: the
That one let you pick each stage of the build (prep, compile, install,
pkg, etc) -- where as mine just "runs" from start to finish.
I really like the gentoo-ebuild-inspired cygport method, and now use it
almost exclusively for the packages I maintain for cygwin. But that
requires a bit more infrastructure than we have in the msys environment.
Anyway: I'm going to do the following:
(1) upload the termcap component as part of the "MSYS: System
Builder|Technology Preview: msysDVLPR-1.0.0-alpha-1 Notes"
package|release. This is because the termcap library and header really
aren't distributed with msysCORE -- they are just used when building
(2) upload the texinfo component as part of the "Snapshot|MSYS"
package|release, because info.exe and friends are part of msysCORE.
(3) upload the vim component as part of the new (and gigantic) "MSYS:
Supplementary Tools|Technology Preview: Tools for MSYS-1.0.11"
package|release because it IS a supplementary tool, and because Keith
doesn't want it in msysCORE anymore.
Cesar, if you want to download the termcap and/or texinfo -src packages
and update the corresponding locations in the cvs repo, that'd probably
be a good idea.