> From: "Richard Laager" <rlaager@...>
> Sent: 2005 August 24 Wednesday 13:35
>A while back, a user pointed out an alternative set of icons for Gaim.
> went through them, made some modifications, and I'm thinking we should
> put the following set into Gaim proper. I'm looking for feedback,
> especially objections.
Most I think look much better (cleaner, less cluttered), the exceptions
are fewer so I'll list those.
* send-im.png - I kind of like the old one. . o O ( ...! ) Also, this
new one looks the same as freeforchat, below.
* text_(bigg|small)er.png - They all look very similar, trying to do too
much in such a little space, everything gets smaller, and it's hard to
see the differences. Maybe just a wider icon, rectangle not square, to
fit a full-sized A and a up-arrow, and a readable small A and down
* (block|ignor)ed.png - These again both look very similar now. For
ignore, I'd say use a head with earmuffs, but then it'd look like
Napster. :p maybe blocked could have a mouth with the circle and line
through it, or X-ed out, and ignore could have an ear, greyed out or
X-ed out or circle-slash?
* freeforchat.png - Looks much like the send-im, but again I liked the
rounded rectangular bubble. Now that I think, the send-im rounded
bubble looks better than this bubble. Why not distinguish between
send-im and freeforchat by using different shaped icons? Use the old
send-im for send-im, and the new send-im use for freeforchat!
* (jabber|yahoo).png - I like and would miss the old ones but definitely
better to use the official logo. That goofy smiley face is just great.
* away: clock versus notepad - A notepad could mean anything -- logging
messages, queued messages, typing a message, message saved, or could
even be mistaken for a file icon -- it's kind of vague. A clock
indicates something to do with time, reminds me of the signs people once
used, "Out to Lunch, be back at ..." and had adjustable clock hands.
:-D But maybe some other iconcept could be explored?