Note: I'm sending this to webware-devel not webware-discuss. Seems like a
more appropriate list for this topic.
I suggested to Tavis (in a private email) that the right way to get his
ExpWebware changes into Webware proper is to remove as many
incompatibilities as possible between ExpWebware and Webware 0.7. He
agreed. That means:
- Make it possible to run ExpWebware by pointing it to an existing set of
Webware 0.7 config files and having it just work.
- Switch back to separate MiscUtils/WebUtils dirs instead of a single
Webware dir. (Not to preclude changing it later, but it's not a necessary
part of Tavis's experiment.)
- Get it working well on Windows. (this may be untested in ExpWebware.)
- Implement the lesser-used/obscure methods from Webware that he may not
have gotten around to reimplementing yet.
- Make sure all fixes and features from Webware 0.7 are in ExpWebware.
- Make sure it's stable.
At that point, we could do a wholesale switch to ExpWebware with little
Once the first two items are done, I can start to test ExpWebware with my
own Webware 0.7 application without having to mess around with a new config
system and without changing a whole bunch of imports. As far as I'm
concerned, that is key to making this merge happen.
So if Tavis is up for smoothing over the incompatibilities, I'm willing to
help with the testing and try to get this stuff into Webware.