> > SECOND POINT: Should we get rid of all .cvsignore files?
> They are only helpful when building inside
> > the source tree, which is generally not recommended. I'm
> not going to do this without a
> > discussion/vote.
> It depends on the contents of the .cvsignore files. Many editors
> create backup files and such. For example, .#file.cxx# and
> file.~1.20~. These would be created in the source directories, and so
> it'd be nice if cvs ignores them.
Editor backups are generally ignored because of default cvs behavior, or use of the -I option.
.cvsignore files are for directory specific files.
All the .cvsignore files are listed a bit below, with their contents. What is ignored is summarized
1. temporary test output files, mostly *.tmp
2. files generated by building documentation/books, mostly book*
3. header files produced by configure
4. files that are in the repository (should not be ignored)
5. mvox, rtf, vgui_qt_*_mocced.cxx files
I propose that we get rid of ALL of the .cvsignore files. It seems safe to remove all .cvsignore
files and then to add any back in if we find out that they are really helpful. Here is why I think
they should go.
* If people build outside of the source tree, then there is no reason to ignore 1,2,3.
* It is a bad idea to ignore 3. because if those files are present they may override
configuration files in the build directory.
* Files in the repo should not be ignored. That takes care of 4.
* I'm betting that mvox, rtf, and vgui_qt_*_mocced.cxx are no longer used, so we don't
need to ignore them.
==> ./gel/gevd/tests/.cvsignore <==
==> ./mul/clsfy/tests/.cvsignore <==
==> ./mul/doc/book/.cvsignore <==
==> ./mul/mbl/tests/.cvsignore <==
==> ./mul/mil/tests/.cvsignore <==
==> ./mul/mil3d/tests/.cvsignore <==
==> ./mul/vpdfl/tests/.cvsignore <==
==> ./mul/pdf1d/tests/.cvsignore <==
==> ./oxl/.cvsignore <==
==> ./oxl/vgui/doc/vgui_ref_manual/.cvsignore <==
==> ./oxl/vgui/doc/vgui_users_guide/.cvsignore <==
==> ./oxl/vgui/impl/qt/.cvsignore <==
==> ./tbl/doc/book/.cvsignore <==
==> ./vcl/.cvsignore <==
==> ./vcl/iso/.cvsignore <==
==> ./vxl/.cvsignore <==
==> ./vxl/doc/.cvsignore <==
==> ./vxl/doc/book/.cvsignore <==
==> ./vxl/vbl/io/tests/.cvsignore <==
==> ./vxl/vgl/io/tests/.cvsignore <==
==> ./vxl/vil/io/tests/.cvsignore <==
==> ./vxl/vnl/io/tests/.cvsignore <==
==> ./vxl/vsl/tests/.cvsignore <==
==> ./vxl/vul/.cvsignore <==
==> ./vxl/vul/io/tests/.cvsignore <==