A new versions of the Translate Toolkit was released today.
The Translate Toolkit is a collection of useful tools for manipulating
translation files for translation, review and management tasks. It is
also the powerful python API that drives several leading translation
tools in the FOSS world.
This is a major new release containing new tools and several bug fixes
and speedups. This will be the required version to use for Virtaal 0.3,
and possibly for the next release of Pootle. This version of the toolkit
should be perfectly usable with Pootle 1.2, although this hasn't been
Important changes for upgrading from earlier versions are documented on
the wiki at
* Speed improvements for almost all file formats
* New converters
* tiki2po for tikiwiki articles [Wil Clouser, Mozilla]
* symb2po for Symbian translation files
* ini2po can now translate Innosetup files
* Several improvements related to the XLIFF workflow
[Thanks to Andre Schnabel for reporting several bugs]
* Improved format support for PHP and PO (including support for
* Improvements to pofilter, among them a new test to test for the
incorrect translation of gconf values (thanks Dwayne!)
* Several --duplicatestyle options were removed as advertised earlier
and many other improvements, cleanups and bugfixes.
This version also includes a new Translation Memory server that is
by Virtaal, and soon, hopefully more tools like Pootle.
The API documentation for the toolkit is available here:
The Translate Toolkit API provides a powerful library for the
development of localisation applications.
The releases and accompanying documentation is available for download at
Dependencies to run the translate toolkit 1.3.*:
* Python (version 2.5 is the best tested version, but 2.3 and 2.4 should
work fine). Please report if you still need support for version 2.3 as
this might be dropped in future releases. Please report on your success
with Python 2.6!
* lxml is required for all processing of XML files (XLIFF, TMX, TBX).
PO functionality might work without lxml. Please use a very up-to-date
version of lxml for Translate Toolkit 1.3. Version 2.1 seems to be good.
* pocount needs pysqlite. Python 2.5 includes pysqlite, but
pysqlite2 needs to be installed if you are using an older version of
* python-Levenshtein is optional, but helps to speed up all activities
that involve fuzzy matching, like pot2po and pretranslate
* psyco is optional, but helps with performance
Other dependencies of specific tools are mentioned in the README file.
The 1.3 release is currently maintained in SVN trunk, although we might
The live documentation is available on the wiki at
Please report bugs at http://bugs.locamotion.org