changes in sbcl-1.0.57 relative to sbcl-1.0.56:
* RANDOM enhancements and bug fixes:
** bug fix: the range and distribution of random integers could be
catastrophically wrong when the compiler derived the type of its
argument as a disjoint set of small integers.
** bug fix: the distribution of random integers is now completely
uniform even when the specified limit is not a power of two.
(Previously some values could be about 0.1 % more probable than
others in the worst case.)
** RANDOM on large integer arguments is generally faster and conses
less than before; this is visible for fixnums above a length of
about 24 bits, but extremely so for bignums: the old implementation
used time and space quadratical in the size of the argument there,
the new one is linear.
* enhancement: redesigned protocol for quitting SBCL. SB-EXT:EXIT is the new
main entry point, SB-EXT:QUIT is deprecated.
* enhancement: additions to the SB-THREAD API: RETURN-FROM-THREAD,
ABORT-THREAD, MAIN-THREAD-P, and MAIN-THREAD.
* enhancement: FASL loading no longer grabs the world-lock.
* enhancement: GENCGC reclaims space more aggressively when objects being
allocated are a large fraction of the total available heap space.
* enhancement: backtraces show the correct number of arguments for frames
called with too many arguments.
* enhancement: support for abort(3), exit(3), and _exit(2) has been added to
* enhancement: ASDF has been updated 2.21.
* optimization: fewer uses of full calls to signed modular functions.
* optimization: typechecking alien values is typically 5 x faster.
* optimization: FDEFINITION, SYMBOL-FUNCTION, MACRO-FUNCTION, and FBOUNDP
are 20% faster.
* bug fix: file compilation performance issues when dumping subtypes
of CHARACTER (lp#994487)
* bug fix: fixed disassembly of some SSE instructions on x86-64.
* bug fix: SB-SIMPLE-STREAMS signals an error for bogus :CLASS arguments in
OPEN. (lp#969352, thanks to Kambiz Darabi)
* bug fix: CASE normal-clauses do not allow T and OTHERWISE as keys.
* bug fix: (SETF (FIND-CLASS X) NIL) removed proper name of the underlying
classoid even if X was not the proper name of the class. (lp#941102)
* bug fix: declaration leakage between lexical environments due to careless
use of NCONC in MAKE-LEXENV. (lp#924276)
* bug fix: ENSURE-DIRECTORIES-EXIST now works when
*default-pathname-defaults* contains NAME or TYPE components.
* bug fix: PPRINT couldn't print improper lists with CARs being some symbols
from CL package, e.g. (loop . 10).
* bug fix: run-program with existent or non-existent files for :output or
:input when :if-output-exists or :if-input-does-not-exist are NIL properly
returns NIL instead of signalling an obscure error.
* bug fix: fix miscompilation of some logand forms with large constant
* bug fix: account for funcallable-instance objects properly in ROOM.
* bug fix: incorrect octets reported for c-string decoding errors.
* bug fix: miscompilation of LDB on the PowerPC platform. (thanks to Bruce
* bug fix: better input error reporting for COMPILE-FILE. (lp#493380)
* bug fix: default size of non-nursery generations has been shrunk on GENCGC,
allowing faster release of memory back to the OS. (lp#991293)
* bug fix: WITH-DEADLINE (:SECONDS NIL :OVERRIDE T) now drops any
existing deadline for the dynamic scope of its body.
* bug fix: compiler-internal interval arithmetic needed to be more
conservative about open intervals when operated on by monotonic but not
strictly-monotonic functions. (lp#975528)
* bug fix: copy-tree caused stack exhaustion on long linear lists, and now
it's also slightly faster. (lp#998926)
* bug fix: better error messages for malformed declarations.
* bug fix: define-condition didn't return the name of the defined condition.
** improved docstrings: REPLACE (lp#965592)