sbcl-0.8.13 has been released. Sources are available already; Brian
Mastenbrook has volunteered to make some binaries available presently
from the NEWS file in the distribution:
changes in sbcl-0.8.13 relative to sbcl-0.8.12:
* new feature: SB-PACKAGE-LOCKS. See the "Package Locks" section of
the manual for details; for now, package locks can be disabled by
removing :SB-PACKAGE-LOCKS in customize-target-features.lisp, but
if no major problems are found then it is likely that they will be
compiled in unconditionally.
* major incompatible change: LOAD-FOREIGN and LOAD-1-FOREIGN are now
unsupported operators on all platforms. To load a shared library
into SBCL, use SB-ALIEN:LOAD-SHARED-OBJECT. To load a non-shared
object file, link it into a shared library outside of SBCL and
load it using SB-ALIEN:LOAD-SHARED-OBJECT. (incidentally fixes
* bug workaround: ROOM T and the GC were not working together
reliably, because invariants expected by the SB!VM:INSTANCE-USAGE
reporting facility aren't preserved. That reporting has been
disabled, so now until and unless someone figures out how to make it
work reliably with the current GC, (ROOM T) is equivalent to (ROOM).
* minor incompatible change: as threatened around sbcl-0.8.0, the
home package of MOP-related symbols is now SB-MOP, not SB-PCL.
The symbols are also exported from SB-PCL for backwards
compatibility, but more so than before SB-PCL should be treated as
an implementation-internal package.
* fasl format changed: SBCL 0.8.13 fasls are incompatible with those
of earlier versions
* the SB-SPROF contrib now works on (most) non-x86 architectures.
It is known as of this release not to work on the Alpha, however.
* fixed bug #167: errors signalled due to illegal syntax in method
bodies are now more legible.
* fixed bug #338: instances of EQL-SPECIFIER are now valid type
designators and can hence be used with TYPEP.
* fixed bug #333: CHECK-TYPE now ensures that the type error
signalled, if any, has the right object to be accessed by
TYPE-ERROR-DATUM. (reported by Tony Martinez)
* fixed bug #340: SETF of VALUES obeys the specification in ANSI
220.127.116.11 for multiple-value place subforms. (reported by Kalle
* fixed bug #334: programmatic addition of slots using specialized
methods on SB-MOP:COMPUTE-SLOTS works for :ALLOCATION :INSTANCE
and :ALLOCATION :CLASS slots.
* fixed bug #269: SCALE-FLOAT scales floats by any integer, not just
float exponents. (rereported by Peter Seibel)
* fixed a bug: #\Space (and other whitespace characters) are no
longer considered to be macro characters in standard syntax by
* fixed bug: initialization of condition class metaobjects no longer
causes an instance of the condition to be created. (reported by
* fixed bug: it is now possible to have slots such that
SB-MOP:SLOT-DEFINITION-ALLOCATION of the effective slot
description is neither :INSTANCE nor :CLASS.
* fixed bug: the ctor optimization of MAKE-INSTANCE now respects
user-defined methods on SLOT-BOUNDP-USING-CLASS and (SETF
SLOT-VALUE-USING-CLASS), and no longer causes errors with
non-standard SLOT-DEFINITION-ALLOCATION values.
* fixed bugs: various race conditions handling exiting threads.
CL-PPCRE's thread torture test now passes.
* fixed arguably-a-bug: GC time proportional to number of threads in
system even when most of them are idle
* optimization: improved performance of BIT and SBIT on bit-vectors.
* .fasl file incompatibility: The fasl file version number has
been incremented because of changes associated with package locks.
William Harold Newman <william.newman@...>
The very core of liberty secured by our Anglo-Saxon system of separated
powers has been freedom from indefinite imprisonment at the will of the
Executive. -- Scalia, dissenting in Hamdi v. Rumsfeld
PGP key fingerprint 85 CE 1C BA 79 8D 51 8C B9 25 FB EE E0 C3 E5 7C