Still not dead! ;)
Today, I've finally overcome the last rendering issue of the scene
manager I had to write for ogre. The things that are pending on the
SceneManager side of rendering are:
* Texturing UV - So the problem with textures is still not fixed, but
i'm trying though
* Lightmapping UV/scale - this is connected to the previous
* Rayscene queries
* View Frustum limitation of visible objects - not a big deal - I limit
by Cell membership now, and this maybe will be sufficient. (e.g. object
in cell is drawn if cell is drawn...)
* water - I need to find the water face's target cell in the binary
files first (and create a special kind of portal for this).
* finalisation - code cleanup, etc.
The good thing is that i have 1.5-3 times more FPS that I had in
Irrlicht - ~80-150 FPS on my old Geforce2pro.
The code will be commited as weekend comes (I hope... and with the
glitches listed above).
The next part of conversion will be Object loader. Three ways of
realisation come to my mind :
1. Mesh converter - the preffered way of doing in Ogre Azathoth -
converting custom format to ogre's representation - no big deal -
installer would be needed though.
2. Mesh Factory - not easy it seems
3. Ogre Dagon's ManualObject (but we would have to wait for Dagon) - we
will see what it look like when Dagon comes out.
I would like to do (1), because of the stability and skeletal animation
issues that would emerge otherwise.
One issue I had to overcome is that dagon uses DeviL image lib, which
has a bug in PCX loader (too strict header checks). Solution: (1) -
patch devil, (2) - use a different image format. I use (1) for now. I
will surely try to create an alternative set of textures later on
anyways (the pcx ones sure work, but are a bit ugly).
I hope that at least somebody is still around...