GNE 0.40 alpha has been released, and 4 months of work has happened on GNE
since the last release 0.003pre-alpha. Almost nothing was implemented yet
in 0.003 but almost everything is implemented in 0.40.
The changlog is too big to fit into a single message, but some general
* Maturing of the threading and timers code.
* Greatly expanded and tested Console I/O API
* Nearly complete redesign to the Connection API, and new types of
Connections have been added and implemented
* Better packaging support and directory/include structure.
* Linux support now working and actively maintained.
* Several more example programs, bug fixes, and more classes implemented
across the board.
GNE works and has been tested with MSVC 6 and Linux using GCC 3.0.2.
These are the primary ports. Unfortunatly ports that used gcc 2.9x do not
work anymore due to an old incompatable libstdc++. MingW32 should work if
you get gcc 3.x for it. Sun Solaris 8 should work now using GCC 3.x and
GNU make but is untested.
GNE stands for Game Networking Engine and it is a high-level networking
library made in object oriented C++. GNE is meant to handle the common
elements of any networking task and provide a framework for your game's
specific networking code. Some things that GNE does:
* Cross-platform multithreaded programming
* Precise timing capabilities using callbacks in threads.
* Multithreaded Console I/O (meant for text-based servers, do input and
output at the same time)
* Bandwidth throttling (control and specific bandwith capabilities) *
Packet parsing, serialization of Packet data, conversion between
different processor formats, type checking and error detection.
* Connections and disconnections and negotiating connection parameters *
In the future GNE will have a list server built in similar to
Battle.net or Half-Life where all GNE games will be listed.
Visit the GNE website at http://www.rit.edu/~jpw9607/ and click on the
GNE link on the left for more information. The GNE SourceForge page is
http://www.sf.net/projects/gnelib/ , where you can find mailing lists,
news, and CVS access.