I have released Emdros version 1.2.0.pre218. Since the 1.2.0.pre218
preview series inches closer to "perfection", I will drop the "preview"
status. It is now the current version, and the 1.1-series has been
deprecated, as per the website.
You can download from here:
This is a major overhaul of Emdros since the last public release,
which was 1.2.0.pre206.
- The Emdros Query Tool has been improved in various ways as to
functionality and speed.
- Doxygen documentation has been added.
- Fixed a bug in EMdFDB::createObjects(): It didn't abort the
transaction under certain circumstances, even though it was
necessary to do so.
- The database schema has been changed. Details are in the ChangeLog
entry for 2006-05-14, and in Rel-EMdF.pdf. This means that you
should upgrade your databases (see below).
- Speed improvements of the topographic part of MQL, especially for
multi-million-token (i.e., very large) corpora.
- Support for gcc 4.1.
- A BIG CHANGE has occurred, in that all backends can now be present
in the same binary: MySQL, PostgreSQL, and SQLite 2. You set the
backend with the -b switch on all programs that connect to a backend
(see the man pages for the programs, or the output of --help), and
the EmdrosEnv constructors now have an extra parameter which specify
the desired backend. See emdros/include/emdf_enums.h for what the
backend kind enumerations are.
- Changes to the build process
- Changes to accommodate the multiple backends in the same binary.
- If present on the system (on Linux and Solaris and *BSD), Emdros
will use the system pcre and the system SQLite.
- SWIG now builds all combinations of all backends for all
- It is now possible to do rpmbuild -ta emdros-@...,
because there is only one emdros.spec file.
- On Win32, the PostgreSQL and MySQL libraries (along with
dependencies) are now distributed.
- Mac OS X: All binaries are now linked with the libtool -static
flag, thus making them static-only, not shared.
- Better support for Solaris 10.
- Two new importers have been added: plaintextimport (for plain text)
and slashedtextimport (for text of the form "The/article
big/adjective fat/adjective man/noun").
- The penn importer now works on the Penn Treebank (!).
- On MySQL, the "[client]" group is now read from the configuration
file before connecting.
- The default encoding in mql(1) is now kCSUTF8 rather than
- The license has been changed so as to allow linking with OpenSSL.
This was necessary because PostgreSQL links with OpenSSL.
- Documentation changes:
- The Emdros Programmer's Reference Guide is now available as HTML
and PDF right in the source tarball.
- The HAL example documentation is now included, also in HTML and in