archivemail 0.7.0 is ready for download. This release comes with many and
important fixes, some of which address security issues; I strongly recommend to
Despite the major version change, this is mostly a maintenance release, with
notable fixes in the IMAP code. There's actually just one new feature (size
stats, see below) if you don't count what in theory was already there, but just
didn't work. :-)
Okay, here are my pet items from the changelog, roughly ordered by priority:
* Fixed unsafe creation of temporary files in the test suite.
This addresses Debian bug #385253, and reading the BTS log, it seems this
issue was assigned CVE-2006-4245, although I cannot find any further
reference to that CVE. Note that the bug was initially reported to affect
archivemail itself, too. This is not correct.
* Fixed dotlocking race condition.
* IMAP was broken in v0.6.2 and is now working again.
* New feature: stats now report the total size of a mailbox and of the archived
* archivemail now writes valid mbox(5) archives and by default mangles From_
lines; the latter can be disabled with the new option --dont-mangle (see the
man page for the details; see also Debian bugs #250410 and #250402)
* archivemail finally converts on-the-wire CRLF to native EOL when saving
messages from an IMAP folder.
* Fixed IMAP --delete which never worked at all.
* Fixed IMAP --dry-run so it doesn't download all messages that would be
* Fixed IMAP --size which never worked at all.
* archivemail now requires Python version >= 2.3.
* Fixed unittest failures.
* Distributing man page with the tarball again and fixed distutils setup.
The changes in this release probably better had went into several minor
releases, when we would have something like v0.6.6 now, but I was carried away
In other news, archivemail has new maintainers, namely Peter Poeml and Nikolaus
Schulz (that's me, hi!). The former maintainer Brandon Knitter is currently not
active on the project.