Menu

Axis labels and startup options

2008-03-31
2013-05-28
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Firstly, nice graph application.
    However, currently I have a few issues:
    1) I can' seem to get x-axis values to be whole integers. My x-axis values will be 1, 2, 3 etc all the way to a finite number, such as 1000.

However, I get whatever you wish to call it, but labelled values is the best way to describe it, on the x-axis which are 7.524, 11.234 etc. Maybe I'm missing something here, can't believe no-one else has mentioned it, but just thought I'd point this out. If it's configurable to be whole numbers, then fair enough - just currently I haven't been able to make it so.

2) No axis labels for either x or y axis. I was always under the impression that graphs must have labels for their axis, so I assume I'm missing something here again - but trawling through the documentation repeatedly, I cannot find it.

3) Ability to start the application without some windows being open. If I set the configuration options for startup, then why would I need all 4 windows opening? You can close them once open, you can even close them whilst running from the main application itself, but why can you not make it start the main application up with some options that disables those windows first? That way, I can use it without having 4 windows pop up, just two... the plot, and the legend essentially.

Hope i've not missed settings for all these, if so, it wasn't clear!

• Nobody/Anonymous

Found startup settings not long after the first post, no idea how on earth they were missed to be honest!

• Nobody/Anonymous

Any axis label potential for future releases? How about title of the graph as well, it'd be nice if you could then just save graph to an image, and print it out - without then having to write all over it for labels, axis and legends.

Additionally, when you hover over a plot, you get the circle. It appears you get the values of the cursor point - but why not the values of the underlying plot point? Obviously this may not be that easy to do... I don't know, just wondering aloud as it'd be nice to find out definate values for the line (with point highlighted as already is, circle around it).

Cheers!

• Greg Paperin

Greg Paperin - 2008-06-21

* Axis labelling:

I have discussed the general problem with labelling the axes with the names of the data series in this post:
        http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=5045273
        We plan the next release for the next 14 days. For that one, axes labelling will not be ready in time.
        We will try to incorporate x-axis labelling into the release thereafter, but I cannot provide a date at this stage.
        When I need axes labels for LiveGraph images, I add them using an image editor afterwards, but having done it myself I know how annoying and time-consuming this is.

* As for the highlighting issue you mentioned:
        I am not sure I see what exactly you mean.
        You are saying

> It appears you get the values of the cursor point -
        > but why not the values of the underlying plot point?

What values do you mean?

> it'd be nice to find out definate values for the line

Do you mean that it would be nice to display the exact data coordinates of the currently highlighted point, or what was it you had in mind?
        I think, it would be nice indeed. The problem is that if the plot is dense, several data points may be highlighted at the same time, so we would need to find an appropriate solution for displaying all their coordinates without loosing the conciseness of the view. We will think about how this could be done. Or was it something else you had in mind?

Cheers..

• Greg Paperin

Greg Paperin - 2008-06-21

Hmm, I think I missed this post in the past.
      So:

1) Round values for axis labels:
      This has been resolved in Version 1.14.

2) Labels for the axes:
      I assume that you mean labelling the axes with the names of the data series, as the values labels are working fine.
      A primary objective of LiveGraph is to provide a clear and concise interface for preliminary data analysis, image export is a secondary feature. So far we have sacrificed axis labelling in order to make the plot area less cluttered. During "normal" work you know what is on the axes (you see it in the graph settings (for the x-axis) and in the series settings (for the y-axis) windows). I guess, for image export, axes labelling would be important, so we could make it an optional feature in future. For the x-axis, it will be easy to do. But the y-axis is more difficult, as in most use-cases of LiveGraph, several data series will be displayed at the same time, each with it's own values transformation function.

3) All windows opening at start-up:
      From the version 1.15 (planned in the next 14 days) the main window will become a message window and will be closeable. The menu will be moved to the plot window, which will act as the main window. In future releases, we would like to remember window positions and open/closed states when you close LiveGraph and restore them when you open it again, but this will not be done on time for the next release (which is planned in the next 14 days).

• David Sperry

David Sperry - 2009-01-22

A simple solution for axis labels (let's call them axis titles to avoid confusion) is to simply supply a free text box for each axis, horizontal for X vertical for Y. The content can then be filled with something that makes sense to the user. This would allow printing of graphs that would not require post editing.

• Thomas Meyer

Thomas Meyer - 2009-02-22

This is a repeat question, but it's been several months so.....

Does anyone know whether request number 3 in the beginning of this thread has been addressed?  I have a perl app which calls LiveGraph multiple times, and closing all the extra windows on each instantiation is a chore!

thanks!

Thomas

• Nobody/Anonymous

I have the same requirement