Menu

Security related Question..

2002-05-23
2002-05-23
  • Rainer Wess

Rainer Wess - 2002-05-23

Hello freebsdfan,

after the installation there are a lot of users.

toor, daemon, operator, bin, nobody ,user

Are they all nessesarry, and were are they used for and is it possible to change the passwords??

Can i get information about this on the internet?

I know the user root and the passwd-Command.

Is it possible to log in via one of the other users?

Is it a security risk that if i am logged in with root i can't logout because the command is missing?

thanks
    Rainer

• Chuck Daemon

Chuck Daemon - 2002-05-23

Wow ... I didn't realize there was a "user" account! You should *definitely* delete it !  (Just use the editor to delete the user line from /etc/master.passwd, run update and then reboot, the password database is rebuilt on every boot).  GOOD CATCH !  THANKS !!

The net4501 versions of theWall do not have the "user" account, only the PC versions.  I'm not sure how that happened, I must have picked master.passwd up from the original PicoBSD sources.

Of the accounts you list only root and user should be able to login, the rest are disabled.  I *believe* the other accounts are needed for proper operation of the system daemons, but I'm not sure.

The FreeBSD man pages are available on the FreeBSD web site here: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?manpath=FreeBSD+4.5-RELEASE

You can logout by typing ctrl-D.  The logout command is a csh built-in command, theWall uses sh which does not have the command.