Menu

Quick review + Suggestions

2008-09-27
2013-04-24
  • Gert Hulselmans

Gert Hulselmans - 2008-09-27

UBCDCreator doesn't work on Linux. You can launch the program and click on the "Extract ISO" and "Create ISO" command and select the necessary files and folders, but when you click on the "Extract Files" or the "Create ISO" button it only displays "Extracting files..." or "Creating ISO CD image..." without actually doing this.

I have found that UBCDCreator sets the path to 7z like this on Linux:
    /home/gert/C:/Program Files/7-Zip/7z.exe

I pointed it correctly to /usr/bin/7z, but it still didn't work.

I think that UBCDCreator should give the user a error box when 7z(.exe) isn't found: when the program starts or when it wants to extract the iso.

In the "Create ISO" dialog, you have to switch "Select the UBCD ISO file (CD Image):" with "Select an empty directory to extract the UBCD files to:" and vice versa. The "Select" buttons are OK.

Maybe you can add an CANCEL box too (so you can stop the extracting process after you have pushed the "Extract Files" or the "Create ISO" button.

Enlarge the about box. Now it is a little bit to small to display the GNU licence file correctly (the GNU licence file contains returns on the end of the lines). It is only at the end of the text (CAPITAL characters).

Now it looks like this:

NO WARRANTY

11. BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO
    WARRANTY
    FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.
    EXCEPT WHEN
    OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER
    PARTIES
    PROVIDE THE PROGRAM "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER
    EXPRESSED

==============
    It should look like this:
    ==============
                    NO WARRANTY

11. BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY
    FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.  EXCEPT WHEN
    OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES
    PROVIDE THE PROGRAM "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED
    ==============

Help Contents doesn't work yet.

Change the following in CreatePanel.java:
    cmd = "\"" + mkisofs.getAbsolutePath() + "\"" +
                        " -N -J -joliet-long -D -V \"UBCD50\" -o \"" +
                        isoOutput.getFile().getAbsolutePath() +
                        "\" -b \"isolinux/isolinux.bin\" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table .";

To:
    cmd = "\"" + mkisofs.getAbsolutePath() + "\"" +
                        " -N -J -joliet-long -D -V \" + VOLUME_ID + \" -o \"" +
                        isoOutput.getFile().getAbsolutePath() +
                        "\" -b \"isolinux/isolinux.bin\" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table .";

Add an option in the settings dialog, where you can set this VOLUME_ID (with the default setting to UBCD50).
    See: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1515

Add also an option to update the isolinux / syslinux files (isolinux.bin, chain.c32, memdisk, menu.c32 and syslinux.exe).
    You can donwload syslinux from: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/

• Michael Lee

Michael Lee - 2008-09-29

ghulselmans,

Thank you for the valuable feedback. I checked on my Linux and Mac OS X machines, and neither properly extract the ISO. I must have introduced a bug before submitting v0.1 to the project website. Rest assured v0.2 will work on all platforms.

I have added your comments to the Tracker under the following artifact numbers: 2136679, 2136672, 2136667, 2136665, 2136664, 2136677, 2136675, 2136669.

• Michael Lee

Michael Lee - 2008-09-29

I am trying to get it to work under linux, but I cannot get 7-Zip to operate on the linux command line outside of UBCD Creator. Anyone have any ideas?

$ 7za x ../ubcd50b3.iso
      7-Zip (A) 4.47 beta  Copyright (c) 1999-2007 Igor Pavlov  2007-05-27
      p7zip Version 4.47 (locale=en_US.UTF-8,Utf16=on,HugeFiles=on,1 CPU)

Processing archive: ../ubcd50b3.iso

Error: Can not open file as archive

I don't believe this problem occurs on every machine, but it is occurring on my machine.