|Version 73 (modified by janaf, 3 years ago)|
The Welec W2000A project
Enhancements, upgrades and improvements to the firmware, software and hardware for the W2000A series digital storage oscilloscope made by Welec.
Just want to upgrade your oscilloscope firmware? Here it is!
An overview of the project for those who want to know more
At the core of the scopes there is hardware and software. The Welec W2000A series oscilloscopes are a basically good performance scopes at a reasonable price but the firmware does not have a good reputation and the hardware could benifit from improvements. Development is done in this project for both sides: the project aims at developing better firmware and software for the scopes, to improve functionality, usability and performance and also to improve the hardware.
The core of the scope is the FPGA and its code. The development in this project is done essentially along two lines; one for the current FPGA code, one with a new FPGA code:
- Based on the available FPGA functionality, adding a new firmware to the scope. This adds a better user interface and functionality to the scope, based on the FPGA code developed by Welec with it's limitations and flaws. The currently released firmware here is developed along these lines.
- Rewriting the FPGA from the core and adding a new firmware to it. This is the Leon3 project and wherever you see something about FPGA design. The reason for rewriting the FPGA code is that the originally developed code is not available from Welec, so the FPGA code is essentially undocumented. This project branch is not yet available for end users and no end user firmware is available so far (may-2010).
- Development is also done of the PC software for the scope
There is also development on the hardware side, to improve it's performance and functionality. None is yet suitable for other than involved developers, not regular end users yet (may 2010)
- There is extensive work done to improve the analogue input section and AD converters, ie changes in the hardware interiors.
- Other oscilloscope modifications for interfacing, for example addition of a board that enables screen dumps to a USB stick.
Below you will find links to pages with more information about the Welec scope, its firmware, hardware and about the development projects. You are also welcome to support our development with your knowledge. Just join our project!
- Project Homepage (this page)
- Digital signal processing
- ADCs, FIFO, Timing, RAM as seen by the Firmware
Upgrading a W20xx to W20xxA
- Quartus- Beginner instructions
- ZPU - FPGA design with implemented ZPU softcore
- Leon3 - Alternative independend implementation with the Leon3 softcore
- What we know about the original firmware
User device list
Addons and Modifications for W2000A
- Repository structure
- Forum (Discussions here at SourceForge)
- Review of GW-Instek GDS-1152A
- Review of Cleverscope C328A
- SF project area
Old resources, read-only:
Linking to us
IMPORTANT: If you want to link to/bookmark this page, please do so for the URL http://welecw2000a.sourceforge.net/. This allows us to "update your link to us", if we decide to e.g. trash Trac or host it by ourselves.
Trac Documentation (These web pages are built using the Trac wiki system)
- TracGuide -- Built-in Documentation
- The Trac project -- Trac Open Source Project
- Trac FAQ -- Frequently Asked Questions
- TracSupport -- Trac Support
For a complete list of local wiki pages, see TitleIndex.