|Version 15 (modified by moorman, 4 years ago)|
SourceForge.net provides a unified approach to defect, enhancement, patch and support management, in the form of the Tracker feature. One of the original features of the SourceForge.net offering, Tracker was updated in 2008 for a cleaner UI approach, and is actively being developed toward a more robust feature set.
- Each project may have multiple Tracker instances, and may create custom Trackers to meet the information management needs of the project. The following are the standard Trackers, created for each project:
- Bug Reports: For software defect management.
- Support Requests: For handling end-user needs for assistance in using the software.
- Feature Requests (RFE): For collection and processing of feedback.
- Patches: A drop box for end-user supplied source code patches.
- Tickets are browsable and searchable based on assignee, submitter, status code (Open, Closed, Deleted, Pending), submit date, category (e.g. the part of the software involved), ticket grouping, and keyword.
- Ticket submitter or project team may flag tickets as private, to keep details confidential.
- Trackers may be configured for project-only visibility, or for visibility to all site users.
- Anonymous posting may be enabled or disabled on a per-Tracker basis.
- Canned responses may be used to send standardized questions or responses to the user.
- A mass update facility is provided from the Browse view, permitting changes to large groups of tickets at once.
- Permissions may be set to permit specific team members to receive tickets (Tracker Technician) and/or manage tickets (Tracker Admin).
- Backups may be made of Tracker data using the XML export facility.
The Tracker system uses the following permissions.
- Technician: May be assigned Tracker tickets, may reply to their tickets.
- Admin Only: May manage Tracker tickets, but may not be assigned tickets.
- Tech & Admin: May be assigned tickets and manage tickets within the Tracker.
These permissions are set on a per-developer basis through the project control interface.
Data is visible to the public
By default, all Tracker items are publicly visible on all public Trackers. Users should not submit sensitive information, such as email addresses, telephone numbers, and mailing addresses, to the Tracker system.
The visibility of a specific item can be toggled to Private by checking the Private checkbox. Private tracker items are only viewable by the submitter (tickets submitted while unauthenticated are viewable by all users who know the URL to the ticket, only the project tracker administrators will get a link to the private ticket after submission, so don't lose the URL after submission) and project tracker administrators.
If sensitive information is accidentally posted to a Tracker item, seek assistance from SourceForge.net staff.
Disabling a Tracker
Project administrators are encouraged to disable unused project services, such as unused Trackers, to avoid user confusion. Trackers may be flagged as hidden by project administrators. No means is provided to completely remove a Tracker. All data will be preserved within hidden Trackers, but it will not be accessible by site users.
To hide a Tracker as a project administrator:
- Click on the "Tracker" link for the project.
- Click on the "Admin" link.
- Click on the name of the desired Tracker.
- Click on the "Update Preferences" link.
- Change the "Visibility of this Tracker" pulldown menu value as desired. Default is "Visible to all site users". A change to "Visible to project members only" will restrict view of the Tracker to members of your project team. A change to "Not visible (hidden)" will prevent view of the Tracker by any site user, including members of your project team; only Tracker admins and project admins will then be able to see this Tracker when in the admin view.
- Click on the "SUBMIT" button to complete the change.
Removing Tracker data
Tracker items may be removed by SourceForge.net staff, if given suitable reason. The "Deleted" Tracker item "Status" value does not actually delete Tracker items or remove them from view; this status option is provided for sorting purposes. No means is provided for project administrators and site users to remove Tracker items, or Tracker item comments, on their own. If you need a Tracker item removed, please contact the SourceForge.net team.
Tracker attachments may be removed by the attachment submitter, Tracker administrators and project administrators. To remove a Tracker attachment as the attachment submitter, a Tracker administrator or a project administrator would:
- Access the desired Tracker item.
- In the "Attached Files" section of the Tracker item, check the "Delete" checkbox adjacent to the desired Tracker attachment.
- Click on the "Submit Changes" button.