|Version 25 (modified by hinojosa, 4 years ago)|
Recommended User Software Configuration
The following operating system (OS) platforms are supported for access to the SourceForge.net site:
- Microsoft Windows XP, and Vista.
- Apple Mac OS X.
- Recent Linux distributions.
- Recent FreeBSD releases.
OS Updates, Security Practices
SourceForge.net encourages you to follow the best practices regarding security. Through good computing habits, you will reduce the frequency of computer problems that can impact you and other Internet users. You will also eliminate many issues that would prevent you from enjoying the SourceForge.net site.
Good security practices, often recommended by OS vendors, include:
- Ensure your machine is free from unwanted spyware, trojans and viruses.
- Operate your machine from behind a hardware or software firewall to prevent unwanted remote access.
- Apply all OS vendor-supplied patches and updates.
- Upgrade to more current OS releases when support is ceased for older releases, to ensure availability of security patches and critical bug fixes.
- Scan all downloaded software before execution or running.
- Do not give out your SourceForge.net password -- SourceForge.net staff will never request this information.
- Report problems you find in software to your OS distributor or the developers of that software, so those problems may be fixed.
AntiVirus software, suitable for dealing with spyware, trojans and viruses may be obtained from the ClamAV project (hosted on SourceForge.net).
Web Browser Software
For all versions: the most current, non-beta bug fix release is the supported version.
The following browsers are known to work reliably with SourceForge.net, without compatibility problems:
|Win XP||Win Vista||Win 7||Mac 10.5||Mac 10.6||Linux|
|Mozilla Firefox 3.5.x||Supported||Supported||Supported||Supported||Supported||Supported|
Web Browser Requirements
Portions of the SourceForge.net web site utilize specific browser features, which must be enabled for proper operation. These include:
- Cookies , which allow us to store authentication tokens and other persistent session information on your workstation. They may also be used by our advertising providers on our pages.
- SSL support is required for login to SourceForge.net.
- SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) , which may encrypt data sent between your workstation and the SourceForge.net site for added security.
- 1024x768 minimum screen resolution, to allow sufficient space for our layout elements such as navigation bars.