|Version 3 (modified by jhaverlack, 4 years ago)|
Access to project statistics data
Project statistics may be accessed using the "View project activity statistics" link on the Project Summary page of each project.
Each project statistics page permits you to select an alternate time constraint (default view is the "Last 7 days"). Selectable time periods include "Last 7 days", "Last 2 months", "Last 12 months", "Year" (you select a specific year from a subsequent pull-down menu), and "All time" (representing statistics all the way back to when the SourceForge.net site was started). SourceForge.net subscribers are provided access to realtime statistics for the past 48 hours via the "Last 48 hours" time period.
The project statistics pages provide direct access to the following sets of statistics, including graphs:
- Overview: The Usage Statistics page, which serves as the default view of project statistics, provides a high level overview of all the data in the statistics system. This page includes the project rank; and the number of project web hits, downloads SourceForge.net project page hits, open and closed Tracker items and forum posts. Several graphs are provided to offer a graphical view of that data set.
- Downloads: The Downloads Statistics page provides a listing of the number of project downloads and bytes served per day. Pull-down menus are provided to display statistics on a per-package or per-release (based on the details in the File Release System) basis. Graphs are provided of download activity.
- Project Web Traffic: Project web traffic statistics include the number of hits to the project web logo image, the number of pages served per the Apache web server access logs, and the number of bytes served from these web servers. Graphs are provided of project web activity. Search engine hits and other similar hits are not filtered out, they are counted. However, most of those hits won't be counted in the sflogo figures, as most search engines don't load images.
- Tracker Activity: Tracker statistics are provided in both an aggregate form for the project and on a per-Tracker basis. Counts are shown as the number of Tracker items opened for the time period, followed by a parenthesized number of Tracker items closed for the time period. A graph is provided for this data set.
- Forum Activity: Forum post counts are provided in both an aggregate form for the project and on a per-forum basis. A graph is provided for this data set.
- SourceForge.net Page Traffic: Statistics are collected to determine the amount of activity to your project pages (such as the Project Summary page, Tracker page, and project logo hits; but not page hits for the project web service) on the SourceForge.net site. This allows for projects to gauge general interest in their project. A graph is provided for this data set.
What benefit does statistics data provide to my project?
- Publicity: High project ranking will list project in our top projects listing; and move the project toward the top of the listings for search results and the Software Map.
- Self-Evaluation: Projects may use the statistics to determine whether overall product usage is increasing or declining, and help gauge buzz about new releases.
- SourceForge.net Feature Usage: Statistics allow projects to trend their project activity on a per-feature basis, which helps in the evaluation of which project features should be enabled to best meet the needs of the project.
- Project Growth: Project teams love the encouragement they receive from active use of their software. End-users love to use software from up-and-coming and well-maintained software. The graphs of the statistics system help in identifying trends.
- Capacity Needs: How does SourceForge.net help you? SourceForge.net project services are provided free of charge. The download and project web activity pages will give you an idea of the volume of traffic you are serving through our servers, and how that compares to other, similar projects hosted on SourceForge.net.
Project Web Statistics
There are three sets of data collected on the project web statistics. These are:
- Hits: The total number of files served from the project web service, as per collected web server log data.
- Pages: The total number of times the project web logo was loaded. If your project is not serving the provided logo on its pages, this count will not increase.
- Bandwidth: The aggregate amount of data transferred from the project web service to and from people who access the project web pages.
Project logos may be displayed on external web sites in order to have our statistics engine count such pages. However, the Hits value and the Bandwidth value will not increase when external hosting is used. Use of the provided logo image is only permitted for use on project-related pages on external hosted web sites, or on pages served from project web space.