|Version 14 (modified by moorman, 5 years ago)|
How do I find software that I want to download?
- Our Software Map provides a topical listing of the software hosted on SourceForge.net. You can select one of our most popular topics, or display all of the projects we host.
- Our site includes a Search box in the upper right-hand corner of each page which can be used to search for software.
- Where projects have released files for download, we include a link to those downloadable files.
- Where projects have given you a screenshot (so you can see what their software looks like), we show that image in the results set. Click on the thumbnail to see the full-size image.
Once you have found a project whose software you want to download, follow these instructions to get the files.
Features for advanced users
Both in our Software Map and in our search results pages, we provide sortable information to help you narrow your search. To re-sort the results, click on a column heading. Columns include:
- Activity and ranking -- two measures of popularity of the project
- The date when the project was registered -- a sign of project maturity.
- The date of their latest file release -- a sign of project vitality.
- A link directly to the files the project has released for download -- allowing quick access to the files you can download.
Freshmeat.net, a sister site to SourceForge.net, maintains a large index of Open Source software, including details for a number of projects which are hosted outside of SourceForge.net. We have integrated data from Freshmeat.net in to our search results. A darker grey border appears around results from Freshmeat.net, to help you tell these apart from the projects hosted on SourceForge.net.
Our Software Map and search results pages provide a number of filtering options and display options. Results can also be saved using the "Save As" button, allowing easy repeat searches with complex filtering.
Our search facilities are based on the Lucene search engine.
Our normal search boxes provide basic keyword searching. Advanced users may want to use our Advanced search facility to take more control over their searches. Our advanced search allows you to specify search criteria using the Lucene Query Parser Syntax.