|Version 11 (modified by moorman, 5 years ago)|
Abandoned Project Takeover (APT)
SourceForge.net projects that are abandoned or no longer actively being developed, may be taken over by another registered SourceForge.net user. You may request the opportunity to take over an existing project by providing that project's UNIX name during the project registration? process. Existing project administrators (if there are any) will be provided the opportunity to opt-out of your request and retain their project.
Project takeover is considered when one of the following is true:
- The project has no project administrators.
- The project has been tagged as abandoned by the project administrator.
- The project has no file downloads.
- The project has been registered at least 6 months.
To take over an existing project:
- Register a User Account or log in with your existing SourceForge.net account.
- Log in to SourceForge.net
- Click on the Create Project link.
- Enter the UNIX name of the project you wish to take over.
- If the project is available for Take Over, the name of the file will highlight, "Unix name is not available, take over possible."
- There is also a check box to select below the UNIX name field, "I want to take over this project." Select this.
- Select the type of takeover this is; Administrative control of an existing project or Replacing the project with an unrelated effort.
- APT's that are of the type to replace with an unrelated effort, once approved, the existing project will first be processed for removal.
- Check the box indicating that you want to take over the project.
- Follow the instructions on each page and submit the necessary information.
APT's may take up to three weeks to complete. A project administrator of a project that is being taken over has the choice to accept a take over request or they may choose to opt-out (reject) such a request. If the administrator is no longer accessing their email, then the request will pend action from the current project administrator for a time period of 3 weeks. If at that time the administrator has not responded, the request will be granted to the new requester.
The status of a project registration, after submission, may be found on the My Projects page.
A project in the 'Projects Registrations Requiring Your Attention' section of your My Projects page requires a response from you prior to its next review by a SourceForge.net staff member. Review any text in the 'Review comment' section, which should provide an overview of the registration deficiency or questions the reviewer had regarding the registration, and modify the registration description to respond to the deficiency, unless some other field was noted as needing updated (most often, this would be the trove categorization).
Initial draft finished 2009-01-22