Welcome to procServ
procServ is a wrapper application that converts virtually any command line program into a remotely accessible daemon.
It does this by
- forking itself in the background,
- starting the arbitrary command (e.g. an EPICS soft IOC) as a child process,
- connecting to a TCP port for telnet access,
- and managing the communication between the clients and standard input/output of the child process.
Apart from this core functionality, it features:
- Logging to a file or a TCP port (read-only)
- Transparent handling of multiple connections to access and log ports
- Restarting the child process - manually or automatically on exit/crash
- Escape characters as commands to kill and/or restart the child process
- Blocking (shielding the child from) potentially dangerous characters
- PID file creation (when run as a system service)
The procServ Authors