Testing your installation
To test your system install the standalone lightspark package and download a sample clip from adobe
- wget http://www.adobe.com/content/dotcom/en/devnet/flash/samples/drawing_1/_jcr_content/articlecontentAdobe/generic/file.res/1_coordinates.swf
- lightspark 1_coordinates.swf
To enable lightspark in firefox/iceweasel go to the Tools->Add-ons menu. In the plugin tab you should have "Shockwave Flash 10.2 r<lightspark version>" So currently r481. Please enable it and disable any other flash plugin.
Using the gnash fallback
Lightspark supports falling back to gnash when a file is not supported. To use this feature you need to have gnash installed, but you should not install gnash's browser plugin.
Gnash (at least until version 0.8.7) does not support using a libcurl with threading support. (See gnash bug #30357)
This may cause the following error when trying to play youtube videos: "An error occured, please try again later".
FFMpeg version 0.7 has a bug that makes lightspark crash. To avoid the issue you need to use FFMpeg 0.6.x or a git snapshot newer than 6 July 2011.
The chromium version available on Fedora seems to use internally an incompatible version of ffmpeg that makes lightspark crash when it tries to initialize ffmpeg itself. No workaround is currently available.
Enabling out of process plugin mode
Since Lightspark 0.4.2 you can use OOPP (Out of process plugin) mode, offered since Firefox 3.6.4. OOPP is a new way of handling plugins that guarantees a crash free experience. To enable OOPP for lightspark follow these steps:
- Open a new tab in firefox
- type about:config in the address bar
- If asked confirm that you know what you are doing
- Right click on the list and press New->Boolean
- Enter dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.liblightsparkplugin.so as the preference name and true as the value
- Restart firefox
Firefox is not able to deal very well with multiple plugins for the same MIME type. If you only see a black box where a flash app should be try to temporarily remove any other flash plugin from the plugin directory.