Here's a template for purposing different pan view improvements. Oscar ( darkendymion user ) will implement them.
I assume that some of them will also be used in 'foled navigation view' ; we'll discuss them.
I'll try to add value to this work, by reffering to articles and book that talk about how to make user interface interaction friendly to the user :).
1. Propose improvement and describe it.
2. Make an usecase. Attach some snapshots of the final view of the new
improvement ( you know, a simulation of how geeqie will look like once
that improvement is completed).
3. If necessary, propose different alternatives of some steps of the
usecase ( or maybe of the whole usecase);to let developers vote ( as I
saw in some of desing decisions I've seen in this mailing list).
If mouse is positioned at the very end of the navigation windows; it should scroll down automatically.
- User arrives at the very end of bottom navigation window
- Window automatically scrolls down. Now the bottom row is the top one ; in the current user navigation window.
- End of usecase.
1. Decide how far from bottom mouse is before it scrolls down ( I would vote: if user positionates mouse at 3/4 of height* of the last row.)
2. Maybe decide transition speed , and if it will be animated or instant view change. Should the bottom row become the top one once it's automatically scrolled down, or would it be a good idea to still viewing some previous rows? If so, how many?
3. Make automatic scrolling only work full screen view mode when using pan view.
Estate: not implemented yet.
Full Screen on Pan Window view
Enter key switchs to fullscreen mode ; displaying a clicked image ; as it does in normal view.
- User clicks an image in pan view.
- If user pushes Enter key ; image is displayed in full screen mode
- When user pushes ESC key; it returns to pan view mode.
- End of usecase.
1. Display clicked image in full screen mode; but also start slideshow as it does in normal view. Slideshow could display all pictures made on the same day/week/month of first clicked image.
Estate: implemented; requesting alternatives.
(*) It's expected to scoll only in one direction in pan view navigation...