EZ Software Management Solution
First off, I know that it it a challenge for Linux/Unix users to try EZ Software Management currently because of its dependencies on Microsoft software.
Let me assure you that Linux/Unix users will not be left behind. Soon, a ColdFusion PreAlpha will be released that will be compatible with Adobe ColdFusion, Railo, and OpenBlueDragon.
Trying EZ Software Management Today
If you would like to try EZ Software Management today, then here is a solution for you:
- Windows Server evaluation image
- Windows Server 2003: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb430831.aspx
- Windows Server 2008: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/trial-software.aspx
- Reasonably fast computer
- ~ 768MB RAM for W2K3; ~ 1024MB RAM for W2K8
- I'd recommend at least a 2.0 GHz processor
- 10GB free hard drive space
- Broadband internet connection (ok, not a requirement, but, it will be much, much faster with a fast internet connection)
- Virtualization software (all below are free)
Setting up your virtual machine (VirtualBox)
- It should come up with a wizard the first time you start VirtualBox. Use these values:
- 256-512 MB RAM for W2K3; 512-768 MB RAM for W2K8
- 6 GB virtual hard drive for W2K3; 10 GB virtual hard drive for W2K8
- If a wizard does not come up, then click on the New icon and enter the values above
- Now, with your virtual machine created, you can start it. Select your virtual machine and press the "Start" button on the top part of the VirtualBox window
- It should come up with a wizard asking you to attach a CD/DVD image. Select the file you downloaded earlier
- Go through the Windows Installation wizard
Install the VirtualBox Guest Additions
The VirtualBox Guest Additions allow smoother graphics and other enhancements. To install them, do the following:
- DO THIS AFTER YOU HAVE INSTALLED WINDOWS AND HAVE BOOTED AND LOGGED INTO THE WINDOWS INSTALLATION ON THE VIRTUAL MACHINE!!!
- Press "Devices -> Install Guest Additions"
- You may be asked if you want to AutoRun the program. Choose to do so.
- Follow the installation wizard
I am assuming at this point that you have an idea on how to install IIS and the Microsoft Web Platform tools. If you are not sure how to install IIS, search the internet on how to do so. The Microsoft Web Platform is available here. Make sure you download the Microsoft Web Platform 2.0 BETA.
If you need any help, don't hesitate to file a new ticket. Just remember to choose ticket type "support".