3. Support
  4. Report Spam
  5. Create account
  6. Log in

All things come to an end

Announcements about the shell

All things come to an end

Postby martink84 » 01 Dec 2011, 18:57

At some point all things come to an end and now the time for SharpE has come. During the past months the activity in the development team has reached a low point with only a hand full of changes (if any) being made to the source code. Reason for this simply is that the remaining few developers either lost interest in the shell or have more important real life interests to take care of. In contrast to the loss of active development time the shell over time became more and more complex, resulting in the few time which could be invested in development being spend on fixing bugs and keeping everything together. With the overall situation not leading to any progress whatsoever and with less and less time being spend on the development of the shell we see no other choice than to close the project by officially stopping the development.

It's really sad that we have to do this, we just see no other choise. We feel however that it's better to end the project under controlled conditions instead of trying and trying and trying to keep it going until at some point it inevitably falls appart. In order to not completely make the project disappear we have moved a simple html based website to the web hosting of sourceforge.net. There it will continue to exist along with the source code, download of the latest version and a new simplified phpbb forum hosted by sourceforge.net aswell. So although no further development will be done on the project, we hope that the legacy of SharpEnviro will remain for years to come on this dedicated sourceforge.net site.

As little consolation for the projects end we have released a build of the latest source code as SharpEnviro 0.8 RC3. This release contains the latest changes from the svn and should fix many problems of the older RC2 release. However we cannot offer a lot of support for this release, so if you run into any major trouble, stick to RC2 or try the forum - maybe other users can help you find a solution. For some time we will of course check the forum and try to help, but I can't say for how long until everyone has faded away.

I don't want to write too many fancy words, but let me conclude with a big thank you to all the people who have ever worked on the shell.
And of course a big thank you to all our users!

Farewell SharpEnviro
martink84
Site Admin

Re: All things come to an end

Postby pixol » 02 Dec 2011, 08:42

A sad day... thanks to everyone who supported the project unfortunately real life caught up with us.
pixol

Postby conta00 » 06 Dec 2011, 11:55

so sad ;[

thank you guys for great enviro, let it rise again some day
conta00

Postby frozensphere » 09 Dec 2011, 09:05

AAARGGHHHH WTF am I going to do now??? :cry:

I love this thing, and I can't possibly go back to using lame standard Windows UI....... I would pay to use this software. :cry:
frozensphere

Postby conta00 » 12 Dec 2011, 13:01

yes, but current version is very usable so no worries ^^

but who knows whats gonna happen after win 8 gonna be here
conta00

Postby version3_o » 16 Dec 2011, 10:04

Very sad day but i can see your reasons. Been using SharpE since day one and currently still use it on both my laptops. Like most that use shell replacements i find it hard going back to explorer.

Just wanted to say thanks to you guys for coding, updating, fixing bugs and answering forum posts for all these years. I'm sure all of you will go onto bigger and better things considering the time and effort i have seen you all put into this shell if you treat your other projects the same you will all do fine.

Been a great journey and i'm proud to be a SharpE (Sharpenviro) user.
version3_o

Postby frozensphere » 21 Dec 2011, 03:24

By the way, I really wish you would have preserved the old forum. There were a few useful threads about all the customization that users have done... Killing off all those threads is kind of decimating the SharpE community even more. :\
frozensphere

Postby frozensphere » 21 Dec 2011, 03:26

PS: I forgot to say, big thank you for this amazing project!
frozensphere

Postby martink84 » 21 Dec 2011, 10:27

frozensphere wrote:By the way, I really wish you would have preserved the old forum. There were a few useful threads about all the customization that users have done... Killing off all those threads is kind of decimating the SharpE community even more. :\

Sorry for that, but there was no other way since the hosting ended this month, the sourceforge forums sadly didnt offer any import option.
martink84
Site Admin

Postby j80063r » 28 Dec 2011, 02:11

I just found out about SharpEnviro last week and I'm loving it, except for a few things... ...I think I'll download the source code. Thanks.
j80063r

Next

Return to News