I have been looking for the right touch monitor but I can't find it !
What I want is :
- a monitor able to report either pressure or surface of each finger. For instance SAW is able to detect touch pressure, projected capacitive is able to report touch surface. However it's hard to know whether this information is available from the controller and also with which resolution. For instance, the (capacitive) Magic Trackpad from Apple can report the surface of each finger but the resolution is very limited for fingers because the scale was probably adapted to be able to track the palm, hence when using fingers one has only something like 16 levels of pressure.
- a monitor able to transmit the data in a standard protocol, so that I can receive the data on a Mac computer using either Arduino or Max. So possible protocols are : TUIO, serial, MIDI, I2C, SPI (and HId if it does not require a MacOS X driver).
- a reasonable price (< 600 €)
- a middle size (between 10 and 20 inches, preferably something like 15 inches)
- multitouch of course
- a fast and stable tracking rate (> 50 Hz) but it is not mandatory.
For instance, PQ Labs have overlays with a TUIO server, but under MacOS X the surface information is not available (altough it is under Windows). One could program it using the SDK but I'd prefer to avoid this. Note that in worst case there is at least a SDK. Some makers do even not provide such a possibility.
Also, as the purpose is to control a musical setup, therefore I wonder if SAW monitors can be used in a noisy environment.
Does anyone know a possible choice ?
Thank you in advance.