3. Support
  4. Report Spam
  5. Create account
  6. Log in

NN loses/scrambles formatting

A place to sound your frustrations.

NN loses/scrambles formatting

Postby ronbergeron » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:10 pm

Every so often, NeverNote messes up the formatting of a note. This seems more likely to happen when the note starts to get larger.

For example, I have a note that I've been adding to for several days while I'm working on a project. The note consists only of text with occasional horizontal lines. There are only two fonts in use. There are no colors or images or anything else like that. I minimized NN to make room on my screen, then I restore the window to add to the note. It went from looking like this:

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum."

To looking like this:

"L
orem ipsum dolor sit
amet, consectetur
adipisicing elit, sed

d
o eiusmod tempor
incididunt ut labore
et dolore magna aliqua.

U
t enim ad minim veniam,
quis nostrud exercitation
ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip
ex ea commodo consequat.

D
uis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit
in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore
eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint
occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt
in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim
id est laborum."

This message board seems to left-justify each line. What it should look like is each line after the single letter should be indented 10 spaces or so.

When I tried to manually put it back to the way it was, all of these lines ended up double-spaced and I can't make them single spaced again. In other words, every time I press "enter", it acts like I pressed "enter" twice and I'm not able to delete one of them. It's like there's some type of paragraph style being applied that I can't see and can't remove.

This has happened a number of times and is very frustrating.

I'm running NN 0.99 on Fedora 14. Let me know if there's any information you want.

Thanks.
ronbergeron

Re: NN loses/scrambles formatting

Postby baumgarr » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:34 pm

Are you connected to Evernote when this happens and have you seen it after stopping & restarting the program? Also, are you clipping from web pages or some other HTML source or typing in the text directly?

The most probable cause is the formatting of the note is too messy for NN to handle. Evernote is picky about the format of a note and Webkit produces a lot of HTML that won't pass their checks. As a result it needs to go through a lot of work to try and clean it up or you wouldn't be able to synchronize. It uses jtidy for this and it works most of the time, but if not there is another routine to clean it up which does a "best effort" to clean it up.

The next release will have an option to view the HTML source directly so you should be able to clean any double spacing or other errors that way. You should also be able to do a cut & paste without formatting to remove some of the problems.
baumgarr
Site Admin

Postby ronbergeron » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:07 pm

I am connected to Evernote whenever I have NN running. Is that something that I should avoid?

The particular problem that prompted my message happened today. The only formatting in the note is the fact that I'm changing back and forth between two fonts. Some of it was cut/pasted from an xterm window, but it's all text. The rest was typed in directly. There's no graphics, tables, bullets, or anything like that.

I haven't notice it happen when restarting the program, but it may have. I also haven't noticed it happening to older notes. It's usually just the one that I'm currently working on.

Grrrr.... I just went and looked at the note I fixed earlier today and it's all messed up again. I'm going to do a screen capture and attach it. The things you see in red on the capture were added in GIMP and are not part of the note. Everything from the part of the note shown in the capture all the way to the end of the note is messed up.

If I copy/paste the note into LibreOffice Writer, the formatting looks correct. It's just messed up within Nevernote. If I then copy/paste from Writer back to a new note in Nevernote, the text flow is OK, but there's still an extra line between each line of text.

Is there some kind of note size limitation? This note is about 8 pages long when I paste it into Writer.
Attachments
Screenshot-NeverNote.jpg
Screenshot-NeverNote.jpg (202.15 KiB) Viewed 458 times
ronbergeron

Postby baumgarr » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:16 pm

No, being connected is normal but if a note is synchronize it invalidates the cache, so it pulls it from a different source. If is a problem cleaning up a note that is when I'd expect to see the problem.

Pasting from LibreOffice could be the way LibreOffice stores text. If it does it the way MS office does, it defines the text as double spaced everywhere, but then uses styles to single space it. When you paste it may not be keeping the styles so it reverts back to double.

The easiest thing to do is to probably wait for the next release. I hope to have it ready this weekend if I get a little time, but if you don't want to wait then PM me with your email & I'll send you a file to replace. It is only about 2-3MB. That will give you the ability to see what is happening with the formatting a little better and may help.

Sorry about the problems.
baumgarr
Site Admin

Postby andypotter62 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:20 am

First, I disagree with the Forum title. This program does NOT SUCK, its awesome. Thanks for your work.

Nonetheless, there is a problem I'd like to report.

I like to make bullet lists in my notes, which can get rather large. The one I have in mind has ca. 50 rows and goes 4 levels deep. The problem is that the formatting of the levels get's corrupted. The text entries do not get lost but the indent level get's scrambled. And when I go through and manually reset things it looks OK at first. Then after a while (perhaps a few syncs and some general editing including other notes) I notice that the formatting is scrambled again. I'm hesitant to go and fix it again, since I've done it several times and it keeps getting reset. :(
andypotter62

Postby baumgarr » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:00 am

I'll see if I can recreate it, but I doubt it will be a quick fix. The more complex a note structure becomes the more trouble Nixnote has because it needs to transfer your HTML note into Evernote's ENML format. That transfer can get a little ugly since HTML is often very poorly formatted.
baumgarr
Site Admin

Postby jesselks » Tue May 01, 2012 12:53 pm

Having a problem where the scrambled formatting is againt scrambled, making it progressively worse. Had this problem with ubuntu 10.04's version of nixnote. And it seems worse with version 1.2. When I briefly looked at the html source, I noticed an insane amount of nested "font" and "div" tags.

Not sure how to proceed.

I appreciate that this tool exists, but I cannot use it if it scrambles my notes. Funny thing is that I will not use Evernote either as this is the only ubuntu client for it. Tomboy seemed to constantly break too. Why is it so hard to find a cross platform syncing note tool?
jesselks

Postby baumgarr » Wed May 02, 2012 8:40 am

Are you clipping directly from a web page, or are you sending it though Evernote first using their web clipper?
baumgarr
Site Admin

Postby jesselks » Wed May 02, 2012 10:49 am

These are hand entered notes. Sometimes it will go nuts around a url I've copy-paste'd on windows/evernote. Other times it has trouble with URL I've created by hand (ctrl-k). Can't tell if it makes a difference whether I edit it windows or ubuntu. Would it help to see a before/after copy the source of a troubled note? Tried attaching file, but html and txt are not allowed. Suggestions?
jesselks

Postby danfoxdavies » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:04 pm

I'm having the same sort of problem on PinguyOS based on Ubuntu 11.04, with NixNote 1.4 - when I synchronise and save notes, then re-open them to edit, I find extra spaces and line breaks have been entered seemingly at random. I have only hand-typed these notes and only used what formatting is available within NixNote. The symptoms seem to be worse if I copy and paste data from one note to another.
danfoxdavies

Next

Return to This Program Stinks!!!