1. Summary
  2. Files
  3. Support
  4. Report Spam
  5. Create account
  6. Log in

Synth 1

Talk about general aspects of LMMS which don't fit into the other categories.

Synth 1

Postby gps2013 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:49 pm

I want to try synth 1 in lmms on Linux.

According to this page it should work on Linux.

http://lmms.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Tested_VSTs

I already downloaded it, but then I get lost.

Were do I create a folder like the you tube vid shows. ( a guy installs it on windows )

I know on Linux lmms uses wine for windows vst.

But that's were my problem starts. Do I need to create folder in wine, or am I over thinking this too much.
This vst comes with an exe file.

I have already installed other (windows) vst, but those only had .dll files, no exe files.
gps2013

Re: Synth 1

Postby diiz » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:33 am

The exe is pointless, just unpack the zip to your vst folder and open the dll file in lmms. Works out of the box that way.
diiz

Postby popeye1234 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:54 pm

Same for me too but check the pitch against LMMS's own internal sythesizers. If it is different it is wrong and will force you to play on or learn the wrong keys!
I have experienced an odd pitch change with VSTs. Basically the VST pitch has differed from the LMMS built in Synths and any traditional set up (piano, stand alone Synth, DAW) or any other virtual keyboards used in a DAW.

So far all VSTs have played ball for me, at least in terms of stability and performance. however this VST/Vestige pitch issue is a major bug.
popeye1234

Postby gps2013 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:43 pm

Thank you guys.

If I notice this pitch problem, I will report it. ( although I dont have a clue yet what you mean )

As far as I can tell the vst that do work on Linux sound right. I only have an issue with the juno 6 ? vst.
The sound is soft.
gps2013

Postby popeye1234 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:01 am

Just check the pitch/tuning for yourself, it is easy to find out if it is working as standard or not.
Play a note on a specific key on the VST, remember the pitch and compare it to the same key on one of the built in synths.
Do this for all other VST synths used in Vestige too as and when you load them.

I am using the current 64bit build of LMMS (never used another build) and bang up to date 64bit Windows 7. Perhaps it is an anomaly with this 64bit configuration and the current build?
I know it isn't an issue with any of the other DAW software I have on the machine.

Slightly more technical: Standard pitch for concert A for piano is 440hz.
My current LMMS set up only seems to allow me to achieve this with Vestige VSTs by changing the pitch setting (which it staunchly refuses to remember, despite storing the numbers!).

If you have no idea what I am talking about play your VST and load up youtube to compare the same keys in this video (right hand section for ease of use):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g09JZIZ_SPg
Play along, your VST should be in tune.
Piano1 VST should be identical (if playing on the right octave).

Piano 1 is truly excellent by the way:
http://www.supremepiano.com/product/piano1.html
popeye1234

Postby popeye1234 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:14 am

:lol: Synth 1 seems to be the exception to the rule. (the exception that proves the rule?)
After testing numerous VSTs in 64bit LMMS 0.4.15 (I wont list them all) oddly Synth1 actually is in tune with the built in synths, and it is the only one I have found!

Yet it is in tune with other VSTs in all the other DAW software too.
popeye1234

Postby gps2013 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:40 am

Now I do understand what you mean, thank you.

I have to admit I never compared them.

Synth1 is working, just the dll file. :)
gps2013

Return to General LMMS Chat