1. Summary
  2. Files
  3. Support
  4. Report Spam
  5. Create account
  6. Log in

Menu: how to change menu items' underlined letters?

Menu: how to change menu items' underlined letters?

Postby j0989 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:14 pm

Some menu items lack an underlined letter to be used with alt+keystroke or keystroke alone to select, e.g File->Open most recent maps

How can I add or change those underlined letters?
j0989

Re: Menu: how to change menu items' underlined letters?

Postby quinbus » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:34 pm

1.Tools->Assign Hot Key
2. While the dialog menu is open, navigate to the FP feature you want to assign a keystroke combination to
3, Assign key combination you wish to use for this shortcut (if you select a combination that is already in use, you'll be informed of such and asked if you want to override the current choice)

Q!
quinbus

Postby j0989 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:57 pm

quinbus wrote:1.Tools->Assign Hot Key
2. While the dialog menu is open, navigate to the FP feature you want to assign a keystroke combination to
3, Assign key combination you wish to use for this shortcut (if you select a combination that is already in use, you'll be informed of such and asked if you want to override the current choice)

Q!

Thank you but that's not what I meant. I know how to assign keyboard shortcuts to menu commands.
What I want to add/change is underlined letters in menu titles. In order to open 'File' menu I press alt+f (because 'f' is underlined). It's a different thing.
j0989

Postby boercher » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:12 pm

The underlined letters ("mnemonics") are defined in the translation files. It's possible to change them in your own installation as far as I know but it maybe also interesting for the "official" translators if you find a missing mnemonic.

See the documentation for translators in the wiki for details.

Volker
boercher

Postby j0989 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:19 pm

boercher wrote:The underlined letters ("mnemonics") are defined in the translation files.

Thank you. And where can I define a mnemonic for Menu Title when I create a new addon?
j0989

Postby j0989 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:31 pm

Is it possible to let Freeplane use the first letter of the 'menu title' if a mnemonic is missing? It would be intuitive, I think. E.g. Total Commander works that way (see user defined menu items under Start menu category).

This way we could use the first letter of a script name to select it from Tools->Scripts. I know you can assign accelerators(=hotkeys) to every script but if you have many scripts you can run out of key combinations easily. A 'First letter' principle would be much better here.
j0989

Postby boercher » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:15 pm

j0989 wrote:Is it possible to let Freeplane use the first letter of the 'menu title' if a mnemonic is missing?

I don't think that this would be useful. Keyboard accelerators take some time to get used to it and you wouldn't like Freeplane change the accelerators from time to time automatically depending on menuitems added.

j0989 wrote:And where can I define a mnemonic for Menu Title when I create a new addon?

You had to define them by adding '&' to the menu title translations at the appropriate place. But I doubt that it will work as I didn't care about mnemonics when implementing the add-on installer. Try it and add a bug report in Mantis if it doesn't work.

Volker
boercher

Postby j0989 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:19 pm

boercher wrote:I don't think that this would be useful. Keyboard accelerators take some time to get used to it and you wouldn't like Freeplane change the accelerators from time to time automatically depending on menuitems added.

Well, the hardcoded accelerators and hardcoded mnemonics ('&') would never change, and only the menu items missing a mnemonic would gain an automatic one (i.e. the first letter). I, personally, find it very useful in Total Commander. As it is now, it's cumbersome to navigate through items in the 'Script' menu with keyboard. Not to mention that the 'Script' menu itself lacks a mnemonic and I couldn't find a way to add it in the translation file.
j0989

Postby boercher » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:04 pm

You should be able to change the translation following the advice in the wiki. Check if you want to add mantis request for the other issues.

Volker
boercher

Return to Open Discussion