1. Summary
  2. Files
  3. Support
  4. Report Spam
  5. Create account
  6. Log in

A new release?

Talk about ideas and the code.

Re: A new release?

Postby cazfi » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:53 pm

pkeus wrote:
I'll tag beta2 tonight (with no-whitespace tag like R0.6-beta2 (R for Release)) and build source packages

Suggestion: Continue the style I used for first beta ("0.6 Beta 1"). I know, this style hasn't been discussed in public, so if it causes any problems, feel free to use another one. "R" prefix is useless imho, since everything in /tags is (per definition) a release.

Whitespaces can be slight annoyance, so I'd rather at least avoid them. Is "0.6-Beta-2" ok? The R -prefix is just something I'm used to in some other projects, but I agree with you that it's redundant (there's slight benefit if one takes svn checkouts from branch and tag without giving names for the local dirs, they would end distinct as "S0.6" and "R0.6")

pkeus wrote:
2. You'll build windows binaries, from source packages, not svn (so the source packages get tested too), and do some basic testing with them

Yes. Will you put the package to sourceforge downloads?

Yes. I'll add it there somehow. Before RCs we should design sourceforge downloads hierarchy too - automatic watch -files and the like should be able to easily find the new versions etc.

pkeus wrote:
4. If there's nothing we want to immediately (before branching) fix, I'll branch S0.6 (Stable) during the weekend

I prefer to branch immediately after tagging, since I've got some changes in the pipeline I would like to commit soon. If you agree, I can create the branch as soon as I start to commit my changes into trunk (after you tagged Beta 2). Would probably happen tomorrow then.

Ok, if you already have trunk-only stuff waiting, we can branch immediately (could even branch first and create the beta2 from the branch) What we should call the branch then, or is "S0.6" ok for a branch name?

In trunk I'll move source files to their own subdirectory. I'll fix autotools side, but paths in windows build files are left to you. We need to freeze trunk while I do this as any commit to wrong path certainly conflicts. That's probably something I'll do Saturday-Sunday night, but I'll post confirmation here about an hour before.

Ok.[/quote][/quote]
Again, if you have stuff ready to go in with current paths, it's easier to get those in first.
cazfi
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:23 am

Re: A new release?

Postby pkeus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:39 pm

Again, if you have stuff ready to go in with current paths, it's easier to get those in first.

Sure - however, I am familiar enough with SVN to be able to resolve conflicts in my working copy.

Ok, if you already have trunk-only stuff waiting, we can branch immediately (could even branch first and create the beta2 from the branch) What we should call the branch then, or is "S0.6" ok for a branch name?

Ok, good. Name "S0.6" is ok as well. I will branch then and start to commit my changes.

Before RCs we should design sourceforge downloads hierarchy too - automatic watch -files and the like should be able to easily find the new versions etc.

Yes. My suggestion is:
Keep the folder "pre-releases" for current beta versions/RCs.
Remove the folder "extreme-tuxracer", move stuff from there into new folder structure
Add a new folder "releases" for release versions, with a subfolder for each release version we create "0.6", ...
pkeus
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: A new release?

Postby pkeus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:55 pm

Branched S0.6
pkeus
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: A new release?

Postby cazfi » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:33 pm

0.6-beta2 tagged and source packages uploaded.
cazfi
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:23 am

Re: A new release?

Postby pkeus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:29 pm

Windows Installers uploaded (built from the source package, after adding missing files). I tagged the x64 version as "default", since I am curious to see how much trouble such a setting will cause (So that we can set an optimal default value for final 0.6 release).
pkeus
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: A new release?

Postby cazfi » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:53 pm

pkeus wrote: I tagged the x64 version as "default", since I am curious to see how much trouble such a setting will cause (So that we can set an optimal default value for final 0.6 release).

Sourceforge download statistics still show 0 downloads of any beta2 package.

If we don't have much show stoppers against 0.6 and want to release it as soon as possible, I think weekend of 31.8-1.9 would suit me as date of next release. Whether that would be release candidate or final release directly, we have to decide. At this point I don't see so much value in release candidate that postponing final release is worth it, especially if nobody else is downloading and testing our pre-releases. As this is our first release, we don't have burden of having earlier version to worry every minor reggressions against. And S0.6 branch stays open for bugfixes for potential 0.6.1 release after the 0.6 release.
cazfi
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:23 am

Re: A new release?

Postby pkeus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:37 am

Sourceforge download statistics still show 0 downloads of any beta2 package.

Which somehow surprises me, since Beta 1 was downloaded a few times...
pkeus
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: A new release?

Postby cazfi » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:50 am

There's something weird in the statistics. It shows "0 downloads, none recently" in directory view tooltip (and graph in icon shows 0), but once you click individual statistics open, there are some downloads. Seems like it's not updating main statistics or old version of the page is cached somewhere.
cazfi
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:23 am

Re: A new release?

Postby cazfi » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:52 pm

cazfi wrote:5. In trunk I'll move source files to their own subdirectory. I'll fix autotools side, but paths in windows build files are left to you. We need to freeze trunk while I do this as any commit to wrong path certainly conflicts. That's probably something I'll do Saturday-Sunday night, but I'll post confirmation here about an hour before.

I'm reserving next night (Mon-Tue) for ETR work, and this is one of the things to do. This is assuming that I don't fall asleep in the evening before the coding session as nowadays seems to happen so often.
cazfi
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:23 am

Re: A new release?

Postby cazfi » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:15 pm

cazfi wrote:If we don't have much show stoppers against 0.6 and want to release it as soon as possible, I think weekend of 31.8-1.9 would suit me as date of next release. Whether that would be release candidate or final release directly, we have to decide.

I've finished everything I wanted to do for 0.6. Ok to make release (tagging + source packages) this weekend?

I also created developer doc about release process to wiki:
https://sourceforge.net/p/extremetuxrac ... Releasing/

Do the version numbers in versio.h or productInfo.wxi have limitations in things like how many parts they consist of (they currently have 4: 0.5.99.2, is that a requirement as in 0.6.0.0 or can it be just 2: 0.6?)
cazfi
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:23 am

PreviousNext

Return to Developer Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron