3. Support
  4. Report Spam
  5. Create account
  6. Log in

farewell

Talk about ideas and the code.

farewell

Postby erin10 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:02 am

No, it doesn't make sense any longer, the rewrite with more development options was MY last attempt to keep ETR alive. To say the truth, it's like tilting at windmills, nobody seems to be interested in. End of 2010 or never, that was my motto and my condition for further developing on ETR, and now I must realize that it didn't succeed. I can't specify the reasons, possibly the game is obsolate and people prefer games like WOW or ego shooters with a lot of action. Or the new code is not convincing enough, I don't know.

Nevertheless I wish the ETR project all the best for the future - or a self-respecting phasing out. Please, do not copy the behaviour of the authors of Tuxracer or PPRacer who disappeared suddenly and quietly. If you feel that's better to stop the project please say good-bye and tell the community the reasons. The source code can still be available on any server.

Bye

----
P.S. Anyhow, for me it was a good and interesting time at ETR. Thanks to all who have read my verbose posts and who have tried to understand my "special English". I'm not really annoyed because I've learnt a lot by working on the project. Indeed, programming with OpenGL and watching the results in a virtual 3d world is an adventure. Thanks Tuxracer.
erin10

Re: farewell

Postby cpicon92 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:33 pm

I'm sorry to hear that you're leaving. All I can say is that I really appreciated your help. I do not intend to disappear, and I will continue to attempt to support ETR. You're welcome to come back and rejoin the project any time.
cpicon92
Site Admin

Postby clrg » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:24 pm

I just hinted at this in another thread.

You can't just develop and expect excitement to follow. You have poured massive amounts of personal effort in to this project but how many releases have been made?

If you want to generate more noise, start making regular releases. Release early, release often. No releases -> this situation. You can't expect the majority of Internet users to somehow just happen upon the forum and the threads with development updates. Communicating with the outside world is critical to generating interest in a project. The primary way to do this is to make releases. Alpha builds are cool. People will try it out and give feedback. No releases? No community interest.

I humbly suggest, erin, that instead of just stopping altogether, make a release. We'll review it on Free Gamer. (Email us! Email on the blog) You'll see what a difference it makes.
clrg

Postby erin10 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:10 am

If you read my passed posts you will find out that I worried about the "dead time" at ETR. With "nobody seems to be interested ..." I mainly mean the ETR team and only secondarily the community. I can write code but I'm not able to create build systems or maintain the website, and I don't feel responsible for releases. That must be done by a team ! On ETR I've been a guest and not member of the core team. ETR as a one-man show? No.
erin10

Postby cpicon92 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:36 pm

I'm totally committed to coordinating a release as best as I can. And I'm not silent due to lack of interest, I just have barely any free time whatsoever right now. Once a release of your very good code is made, it is likely that a team will form.
cpicon92
Site Admin

Postby gregd72002 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:34 pm

Any of you have motivation back?

I really believe the project might get back on rails if to act quickly. I believe you heard of Raspberry Pi (http://www.raspberrypi.org). ETR could be the first proper game to run on it. Moreover, considering the specs of the device and ETR requirements it looks like ETR would greatly utilise all RPi resources. What I mean by this is that there is not much scope to develop anything more 'modern' and 'playable' as ETR for the device having in mind its resources.

I also believe that it should not take much effort at all to add EGL support (RPI supports EGL but not GL) knowing that RPi runs DirectFB and SDL perfectly fine.
If this would happen (ETR runs on RPi in near future) the project could get a lot of attention from the RPi community which is aimed at young and eager developers!

Personally I would love to get my hands dirty and modify the code... just the build system seems to be outdated what pushes me off..

Let me know your thoughts,

Thanks,
Gregory
gregd72002

Return to Developer Discussion