4. Report Spam
  5. Create account
  6. Log in

Hooks in the code for coin-op?

Talk about ideas and the code.

Hooks in the code for coin-op?

Postby rubinbennett » Tue May 01, 2012 3:24 am

Hi folks
Pardon the intrusion, I have a silly question that I am marginally qualified to answer on my own (I've googled extensively, and even read through some of the code to the limited degree that I can). We're building an arcade cabinet as a fun side project, with the intent to use it to collect donations for a local human services non-profit agency. It's currently running Ubuntu and we've installed Extreme Tuxracer on it, and it all works great. We're missing a key feature so far, though - I'm wondering if there is any provision in the code for a coin acceptor?

I'd love it if it worked sort of like MAME, but for legal reasons we can't use MAME for this project because the license specifically forbids using it to collect money in any way, even if it's for a non profit or charity.

I've seen some version of Tuxracer in an arcade before, so it would appear that someone somewhere has added the code to do coin-op, but so far I've been unable to find it.

Any input, comments or directions to look would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much in advance,
Rubin Bennett
rubinbennett

Re: Hooks in the code for coin-op?

Postby cousteau » Sun May 20, 2012 4:14 pm

Might have to do with the old Tux Racer 1.1, which was commercial.
cousteau

Postby alpha-42 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:57 pm

Can anyone more familiar with the license answer the question: can the current version of ETR legally be used in a money-making situation, such as an arcade machine? If it's doable, I'm sure a basic Raspberry Pi + screen + keyboard + coinop setup would be inexpensive and AWESOME.
alpha-42

Postby cousteau » Thu May 23, 2013 3:38 pm

Not a lawyer here, but here's what I've managed to figure out:

TL;DR: the software licenses don't seem to stop anybody to use ETR in a money-making situation, as long as the source is accessible (a requirement only for GPL).

As far as I know, GPL is not incompatible at all with making money.
https://sourceforge.net/p/extremetuxracer/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/COPYING wrote: For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether
gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that
you have. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the
source code. And you must show them these terms so they know their
rights.

This is, as far as GPL(v2) goes, we could even build ETR machines and sell them and it would be ok as long as end users had access to the source code (which could be done by including the source code in the RPi memory card or extremetuxracer.com when it's finally up again).

Other things that may need license:
* OpenGL: From what I could read on their page, there's no license needed for developing OpenGL software; only for developing video card drivers.
* SDL: 1.2 and older: LGPL. 2.0 and newer: zlib license, which says "Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose, including commercial applications"
* Freetype: "FreeType comes with two licenses from which you can choose the one which fits your needs best: The FreeType License and GPLv2."

About the Raspberry Pi (and what I've asked on their IRC):
* It's OK to resell RPis, or build a machine based on it that makes money
* It's NOT OK to call it "The RaspberryPi Arcade" or put a RaspberryPi logo on it. (It seems ok to indicate that it's "Powered by RaspberryPi", though)

There may also be license issues regarding royalties in media formats (e.g. if it uses MP3, which afaik doesn't). And no idea if there are laws forbiding people to make money without a license, regardless on how that money is made, and which taxes may apply.
cousteau

Return to Developer Discussion