4. Report Spam
  5. Create account
  6. Log in

Packaging etr 0.6 for Debian

For discussion among users.

Packaging etr 0.6 for Debian

Postby apoleon » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:12 pm

Hi all,

I'm a member of the Debian Games Team and I'm currently in the process to update the packaging for Extreme Tux Racer. http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg ... xracer.git

Currently Debian uses the old 0.4 version for its stable release and 0.5beta2 is still in the experimental repository.

I really like all the code cleanup and would like to see the new release in Debian soon. However I'm concerned about two things:

1. You have added a couple of new fonts to version 0.6. In Debian we try to avoid embedded fonts, instead we link against separate font packages. It seems to me that stdbold.ttf, stditalic.ttf, std.ttf were taken from the FreeSans project which is fine because they can easily be replaced by a symlink to our FreeSans package. Though outline.ttf, pc_20.ttf and pc_outline.ttf don't ring a bell here. Where do they come from and what is the license of these fonts?

2. Debian maintains an additional tuxracer-extras source package. http://packages.qa.debian.org/t/tuxracer-extras.html
It contains a lot of extra courses for etr from this site. http://tuxracer.fubaby.com/courses.php

At the moment I can't figure out how to convert the old courses to your new format. Are you aware of those courses and do you intend to integrate them in your next release? Is there an easy way to convert them right away? It would feel like a regression if we had to drop all those extra courses, so feedback is very welcome.

Regards,

Markus
apoleon

Re: Packaging etr 0.6 for Debian

Postby pkeus » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:06 pm

Though outline.ttf, pc_20.ttf and pc_outline.ttf don't ring a bell here. Where do they come from and what is the license of these fonts?

A member of the old team will probably have to answer this question, I don't know where these fonts came from.

At the moment I can't figure out how to convert the old courses to your new format.

I can only tell you that there are some functions for converting courses in the code. I don't think, however, that there is an "easy" way to convert the courses. If your extras package contains the "contrib" courses, as they were called in this thread (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=97)
then there is apparently somebody converting them.

Are you aware of those courses and do you intend to integrate them in your next release?

Integrating them sounds like a good idea - since they would be available on non-debian systems (Windows) as well then.
pkeus

Re: Packaging etr 0.6 for Debian

Postby apoleon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:36 am

A member of the old team will probably have to answer this question, I don't know where these fonts came from.

Thanks. That would be much appreciated.

I can only tell you that there are some functions for converting courses in the code. I don't think, however, that there is an "easy" way to convert the courses. If your extras package contains the "contrib" courses, as they were called in this thread (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=97)
then there is apparently somebody converting them.

Thanks for the link. Indeed I'm talking about the contrib courses such as

BronzeSet
Comepeces
Desperation
El_reto
Laberinto
TUX_Quiet_River
TUX_Touristic_Ride
The_long_ride
Tidy
WildWestChuteOut
follow_white_rabbit
herrings_half_pipe
i_like_spike2
inception
milos_castle
penguins_day
pygoscelis_adeliae
rock_n_roll
slide_or_fly
snow_run_1
snow_run_2
this_means_something
touch_the_moon
tuxway
twists
wild_ride

All those courses are incompatible with version 0.6. I think it would be great if they could be integrated in the official release somehow.
apoleon

Return to Discussion