4. Report Spam
  5. Create account
  6. Log in

Centos still usable with Perl >= 5.12 ?

Moderators: pdreissen, fribo

Centos still usable with Perl >= 5.12 ?

Postby schefczyk » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:49 pm

Dear All,

I have been using ASSP V2 for two years on Centos 5 and Centos 6. I find ASSP very useful and I did not experience major problems beyond the usual lack of documentation for installing anything on Linux. I am geared towards Centos because my Linux experience started using VMs at a Windows Server Hyper-V where integration services are mostly available of Redhat/Centos. Thus, I did build VMs with ASSP and many other useful components on them, such as OpenVPN. I did get almost all Perl modules including OCR to work. The only strange issue was that the Infostats did confirm that Image::OCR::Tesseract was installed, but could not determine the version - however, I did not notice consequences.

Having to rebuild one of my two VMs carrying ASSP V2, I reached the end of my means trying to include a newer version of Perl in Centos via perlbrew and trying to deal with the threading requirement. I always found unsurmountable hurdles in installing modules and even in running assp.pl in the end.

Could anyone please let me know if RHEL/Centos can still be used and if there are instructions on how to deal with the Perl issue?

Otherwise, which distribution should one switch to? Are there positive experiences with Fedora (pro: close to RHEL/Centos) or Ubuntu and if so, can anyone please point to a relatively recent step-by-step tutorial beyond the level of detail provided in the ASSP Wiki to save some days?

Regards,

Michael
schefczyk

Re: Centos still usable with Perl >= 5.12 ?

Postby ubchris » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:55 pm

I'm not a member of the ASSP team but I've run V1 for several years and just now tried to move to V2, my mail server is RHEL 4. I'm not sure what that translates into CentOS releases, I'm a debian guy.

1.perl
To run the latest assp, I compiled the latest version of perl from the perl website (5.16.2):
Code: Select all
./configure -des -Dprefix=/opt/perl5.16.2 -Dusethreads

2.perl modules
Get the assp-mod.zip from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/assp/f ... tallation/
There should be a mod_inst.pl in there. Run that mod_inst.pl with the perl you just installed. Or open CPAN from the perl you just installed and manually install the modules manually.
Code: Select all
/opt/perl/bin/perl /opt/assp.mod/install/mod_inst.pl

The only thing I ran into with my older RHEL4 system, was that I did have to build a new version of the BerkeleyDB module because the RHEL version was 4.3 and ASSP needs at least 4.5. That was done with cpan and by modifying the config.in files in the build directory. If you post more specifics about your setup and issues I might be able to help you.
ubchris

Re: Centos still usable with Perl >= 5.12 ?

Postby schefczyk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Dear All,

very recently, Centos 6.4 was updated to Perl 5.10. Hence, ASSP V2 may work without compiling and modifying.

Personally, however, I have moved to Ubuntu/Xubuntu for my ASSP server. I would prefer RHEL/Centos, but using Ubuntu/Xubuntu for ASSP is definitively easier.

Regards,

Michael
schefczyk

Return to Troubleshooting