3. Support
  4. Report Spam
  5. Create account
  6. Log in

bogus gmail bounces

Moderators: pdreissen, fribo

bogus gmail bounces

Postby henrikebechmann » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:39 pm

Hello, I have a top-rate isp (canadianwebhosting.ca), and in one of these accounts I use a lot of mail forwarding that gets filtered by assp.

Recently, assp has intermittently returned emails forwarded to gmail with a message like this (I've used 'xxxx', 'yyyy', and 'zzzz' to replace the original addresses and the 'resend' code):

(All addresses referenced in the following are without a doubt legitimate.)

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:
xxxxx@dufferinpark.ca
Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend
contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error
that the other server returned was: 554 554 5.7.1 Mail (m-35441-04452) appears to be unsolicited -
"failed SPF: gmail.com ... _spf.google.com: Sender is authorized to use 'yyyyy@gmail.com' in
'mfrom' identity (mechanism 'include:_netblocks.google.com' matched)" - resend with zzzzzz
appended to subject and contact postmaster@dufferinpark.ca for resolution (state 17).

Here's a message form my isp tech support confirming that the spf record passed validation:

From the bounce message that you have provided, I could see that the mail is rejected by the ASSP filter in our server due to SPF failure. However I am unable to figure out how the SPF record for Gmail is failing. I have verified the SPF records and it seems to be correct.

==============
Input accepted, querying now...
evaluating v=spf1 include:_spf.google.com ~all ...
SPF record passed validation test with pySPF (Python SPF library)!
==============

This is bad because my clients experience their email as being unreliable. My ISP has even suggested turning off assp for my account (ugh!).

Any ideas?? Has anybody seen this before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Henrik
henrikebechmann

Return to Troubleshooting