3. Support
  4. Report Spam
  5. Create account
  6. Log in

Google Summer of Code

General discussion of aria2 project.

Google Summer of Code

Postby antbryan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:41 am

are there any projects for aria2, large or small, that would be good for summer of code?
... Metalink : Easier, More Reliable, Self Healing Downloads
antbryan

Re: Google Summer of Code

Postby t-tujikawa » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:39 am

I think Web Client UI is a good candidate for the summer of code.
Utilizing recently added JSON-RPC over WebSocket, now we can build Web Client UI which can directly communicate with aria2 without any intermediate Web frameworks such as PHP.
Required skill: HTML5, WebSocket, Javascript, CSS

I have not set any particular goal for the UI yet, but the baseline is that it can add/remove/pause download and show the progress of downloads and details for individual downloads.
t-tujikawa
Site Admin

Postby antbryan » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:30 am

thank you, I've added this.

how long do you think this would take? 2-3 weeks?

please apply as a mentor if you have time: http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/ ... 2/metalink

PS - from home page:

"aria2 has built-in JSON-RPC and XML-RPC interface. You can manipulate aria2 via these interfaces. "

could be streamlined a bit into:

"aria2 can be manipulated via built-in JSON-RPC and XML-RPC interfaces."

of course mention the WebSockets coolness once that's released!
antbryan

Postby t-tujikawa » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:22 pm

> how long do you think this would take? 2-3 weeks?

My plan is simple UI for the first release, so 2-3 weeks are good enough.

> please apply as a mentor if you have time: http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/ ... 2/metalink

OK

>PS - from home page:
>"aria2 has built-in JSON-RPC and XML-RPC interface. You can manipulate aria2 via these interfaces. "
>could be streamlined a bit into:
>"aria2 can be manipulated via built-in JSON-RPC and XML-RPC interfaces."
>of course mention the WebSockets coolness once that's released!

Your proposed sentence is much better. I'll update the web site to use it. Thank you!
t-tujikawa
Site Admin

Postby antbryan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:12 am

great.

I'm thinking it may be useful to require students to work on small bugs or issues before being accepted, if they don't have any public code available already.

I've added the aria2 bugtrackers on the ideas page.

do you have a time estimate for how long it would take a student to add Metalink4 (.meta4 / RFC 5854) support in libmetalink? I'm guessing it would be pretty short.

also, will you be able to update your curl patch, or should we add that to student projects? Daniel said he would accept it now.
antbryan

Postby t-tujikawa » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:05 pm

>I'm thinking it may be useful to require students to work on small bugs or issues before being accepted, if they >don't have any public code available already.

> I've added the aria2 bugtrackers on the ideas page.

Agree. I'll check bug tracker again.

>do you have a time estimate for how long it would take a student to add Metalink4 (.meta4 / RFC 5854) support in libmetalink? I'm guessing it would be pretty short.

I think 1-2 weeks. Might need some tweaks because of differences between v3 and metalink4.

>also, will you be able to update your curl patch, or should we add that to student projects? Daniel said he would accept it now.

Update to the latest version of curl?
OK. But first I need to find my patch ;)
t-tujikawa
Site Admin

Postby antbryan » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:16 pm

t-tujikawa wrote:>do you have a time estimate for how long it would take a student to add Metalink4 (.meta4 / RFC 5854) support in libmetalink? I'm guessing it would be pretty short.

I think 1-2 weeks. Might need some tweaks because of differences between v3 and metalink4.

>also, will you be able to update your curl patch, or should we add that to student projects? Daniel said he would accept it now.

Update to the latest version of curl?
OK. But first I need to find my patch ;)

thanks, good to know about libmetalink time. looks like it will be used for support in wget.

I found a patch you posted on 12 dec 2008 - I think that was the latest.

let's check with Daniel on what exactly he wants. no point in wasting your time again, sorry about that.
antbryan

Postby t-tujikawa » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:45 am

>I found a patch you posted on 12 dec 2008 - I think that was the latest.
Thank you for the pointer. It seems this is the last patch I created:
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2009-03/0017.html

>let's check with Daniel on what exactly he wants. no point in wasting your time again, sorry about that.
No problem. I just did it for fun.
t-tujikawa
Site Admin

Postby m4nson » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:25 am

Hi,
I'm applying for aria2c web ui at gsoc, I wish to upload some code as bug fixing or patch.
I'm beginner I was looking for some job what I would be able to make but..

unable to download files from https server - ID: 3512832 - I don't know much about certificate but first time I saw .jpg certificate.
spinnig 100% on loopback https - ID: 3414628 - even for me there is too little detail :(
Mac platform: aria2 generate a lot of inactive memory - ID: 3469287 - I'm not familiar with mac details :/
bt & unicode - ID: 3210821 - seems to be fixed
can not set "If-None-Match" header - ID: 3167413 - latest version is the solution?
Aria2 won't start download - ID: 3075032 - latest version is solution yet again?
1.10.8 mingw32 can't download BT files - ID: 3151667 - bug fixed
Won't open connections because it thinks "other command" has - ID: 3012982 - fixed? for me it works
Magnet link downloads fail if tracker is unreachable. - ID: 2929565 - to little detail

from future tasks I tried to do "larger max-connection-per-server limit" using just grep i found OptionHandlerFactory.cc It is simple task. But also after registration here I found related topic ;)

so I really don't know what I could do for you. On metalink-gsoc mailing list I read that someone will be happy to help :)
m4nson

Postby t-tujikawa » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:07 pm

Hi, m4nson

I responded ID: 3512832. I'll handle this.
The other bugs you mentioned are not reproducible or reporter does not respond our solution.
They may be better to set PENDING and closed.

"larger max-connection-per-server limit" is WONTFIX because the current maximum value 16 is already large enough. More than that to single host is like a DOS.

I have private TODO list to fix/implement features for the next release.
One of them is return HTTP status 404 if RPC request path is wrong.
I think this is easy and good as a first step. Are you interested in this task?
Check HttpServerBodyCommand.cc. I'll write more details if you want to tackle this in.
t-tujikawa
Site Admin

Next

Return to General