Poll: How do you use ZBar?
i seeded this with applications collected from the forums and private emails -spadix
please add your application to the list with as much or as little detail as you care to put!
- "I have numerous scans containing ISBN, and your program help me to extract the barcode nicely, which I use to rename the scanned image file. This allow me to do indexing and searching for scanned page quickly." -A.L. from AU
- Jörg and Paul each have an application that splits multi-page TIFF scans into smaller documents using Perl. the barcodes are used both to mark the split points and to name each new section.
- Marco has a "project which requires barcode reading (code 128) from scanned documents"
- Pete has an application that extracts symbols from scanned images.
- "I'm writing a little tool for the library of our school, which reads out the bar code on the book through a camera so as to manage the library database." -Z.Y.
- "I’m trying to use your library to both decode barcodes and to find their location (we want to use them to check the scaling on camera images of the documents with barcodes of known dimensions)." -J.B.
- "Our application would be for a library. I'm working in Nigeria and webcams are cheap and easy to buy, barcode scanners are expensive and difficult to find here." -K.O. from Nigeria
- "I help out with an NGO and we are looking at using your excellent program zebracam for an internal library to read bar codes from books and from a staff members subscription card." -S. from India
- "I am interested in writing a media (movies, home videos, books, and software) catalog application that uses Qt for the main application, and Zebra for retrieving a barcode number using a webcam." -K.P.
- our personal DVD collection grew large enough (>500) that it became hard to keep track of who was borrowing what. this whole project started because i thought it should be easy for me to use my webcam to scan the movies grab an open source bar code scanner and hook it to the database...well, there was no scanner that met these basic needs, so i made one :)
- ...in the end i never did make that media tracking application :P -spadix from US
i have several inqueries from folks wanting to do something with mobile, but no one actually described their application...
Reto Bättig ported ZBar to the leanXcam - a "smart camera" embedded image processing platform with an open source hardware design running open source software!
these will be categorized if they evolve into groups...
- coffeelzp was working on "integrate barcode scanning with my applications by embedding a zebracam-like window into my Qt GUI"
- Daniel from Brazil wrote "a new custom GUI for use zebracam and EMC2 (linuxcnc.org) together ... using glade+python+kiwi"