Wild ducks project/Symbian
The Category:Wild Ducks runs Symbian on the Beagle-board/devkit 8000. The plan is to support more hardware like the Pandaboard. The current version supported is Symbian^3.
How to get Symbian up and running on the BeagleBoard and verify your Hardware
Symbian^3 (PDK 3.0.x) works fine on the Beagleboard. The graphics rendering is a bit slow but it's otherwise good enough to start trying things.
To try it out, you can either download and flash the pre-built Symbian^3 ROM, or you can build your own custom rom.
Use a pre-built ROM
To test your Hardware or to get an experience download any one of these pre-built ROMs.
- Beagle.rom.img - Symbian demo on the Beagleboard (No telephony)
- Wildducks_demo.rom.img - Demo for the Wildducks kit (beagleboard and the Wireless Extension). Should be able to make a call.
Just download the ROM, unzip it and flash on your Beagle Board.Instructions for flashing the ROM are provided below.
Quick start for Developers
If that interests you enough , why not build your own, custom ROM?
- To set up your environment and build a textshell rom , please follow the instruction BeagleBoard Quick Start
- If you have a working environment (PDK , PDT and compiler) , you can straight away jump to building a full UI ROM Patch PDK 3.0.0 for BeagleBoard
- Feeling more brave and want to get the Telephony running ? Before trying that , you would be needing the wild-ducks kit or alternatively the Telit starter module / wavecom modem.
If you have one , try this -