Viking is a free/open source program to manage GPS data.
Make new tracks, routes and waypoints and geotag images.
See real-time GPS position (but not on Windows as no GPSD support on this platform).
It is written in C with the GTK+ 2 toolkit, available for Linux, other POSIX operating systems, and Windows, and is licensed under the GNU GPLv2+.
If you use any of the OSM tile sources, then please ensure you are following the Tile Usage Policy by setting your tile checking period to 7 days: Viking->Edit->Preferences->Tile Age = 604800 Unfortunately due to an implementation misunderstanding, this is set by default to 30 seconds. (In all releases earlier than Version-1.2.2)
Latest Release (Recommended + Supported)
* 2013-02-11: Latest Release Version-1.4
Executive Summary of Changes in 1.4
Many New Features including:
- Support for GPX Route type including transfer to/from GPS Devices.
- Add ability to Acquire My OSM Traces and ability to choose any subset of the available traces.
- GPS Upload from a track.
- Better Track colour options.
- More TrackWaypoint layer options: draw direction arrows, arrow size, trackpoint size, waypoint text size
- Display Waypoint Icons in the layers panel treeview.
- Restored Route Finding via Google Services. [Was disabled in 1.3.2 due to change in formats supported]
- Display map tile source and cached file information in a dialog for a position.
- Quick zoom level change from the statusbar by clicking on the zoom level to select another level.
- In the Zoom Tool mode: can select an area to zoom in on (via holding shift key + drag mouse).
- Mouse Zooming in/out maintains the position focus on the mouse pointer location.
- (Use the keys Ctrl+Shift and mouse zoom to maintain the centered map location).
- Add support of a Map type for a local On Disk OSM Tile Format.
- Allow generation of large pixel sized images.
Older Release (no longer supported)
- 2010-12-14: Latest Revision Version-1.0.2
- 2010-11-17: The Viking team is proud to announce the 1st stable release Version-1.0 after 7 years of work by many contributors.
- Releases: the present and past releases of the Viking application
- Roadmap (Long Term)
- Roadmap 1.5
- Screenshots, Screencasts
- Users Manual - Version 1.4 PDF 1.4 Help Online
- FAQ, Tutorials
- Data services (including Maps used by Viking; Includes how to go about extending your set-up for new services)
- Support requests
- Bug reports
- Mailing list archive: Viking-devel - Recommended contact method - send email to mailto:email@example.com and/or Subscribe
- Mailing list archive: Viking-debian - very little traffic
- IRC channel #viking on irc.freenode.net - however seems not to be used much.
- Currently to edit this Wiki you need permission - contact the Viking mailing list with your SourceForge login ID requesting "editor" status. Then one can login to the Wiki site with your SourceForge ID to make changes.