Most important changes since 0.6.9:
- New vdpau configuration dialog, which allow to select the vdpau codecs to use.
- Port for OS/2 (by Silvan Scherrer).
- New menu to select the closed caption channel (requires mplayer >= r32607).
- Possibility to select the seeking method (absolute or relative).
- Possibility to sort the items of the playlist.
Most important changes since 0.6.8:
- A serious bug has been fixed: sometimes smplayer failed to find subtitles in opensubtitles.org.
- Implemented the possibility to mark an A-B section, to play a part of the file only.
- (Linux) smplayer doesn't use alsa as default audio driver anymore. It should fix freezing problems on Ubuntu.
- Possibility to display the video resolution and frames per second in the status bar.
- Audio: selection of left or right channel does work now.
- (Linux) Improved support for vdpau.
Most important changes since 0.6.7:
- Added support for TV (more info in Watching_TV.txt).
- New option to enable a global volume.
- (Linux) Support for vdpau.
- New option to take consecutive screenshots.
- Possibility to add some of the submenus to the toolbars.
- Better support for *.ts files (requires mplayer >= r29381).
- Added the Vietnamese translation.
- Added the Estonian translation.
- (Windows) New options to try to disable the screensaver.
Most important changes since 0.6.6:
- Added experimental (and uncomplete) support for dvd menus. Requires a mplayer build compiled with dvdnav support. Please read dvdmenus.txt to know how to enable it.
- Now loading an external subtitle file doesn't require to restart the mplayer process (except for idx/sub subtitles).
- (Playlist) When a file is added to the playlist, if it was already in the list, it's moved to the end of the list.
- Options for mplayer: finally spaces in arguments between quotes are handled properly.
- Added two options (in the audio and subtitle menus) to allow the user to enter the audio and subtitle delay (in milliseconds).
- (ASS subtitles) The outline and shadow options now accept values with decimals.
- Now the default value for the "correct pts" option is auto.
- (Windows) Now the screensaver is allowed to turn on if the file is paused or it's an audio file.
- (Windows) The direct3d video output is now the default for Windows Vista.
Most important changes since 0.6.5:
- Added an option to generate a preview (thumbnails) of the video.
- Added a new gui (mpcgui, a media player classic clone) developed by Matthias Petri.
- Added some auto zoom options, to display the video without black borders.
- Implemented a new (and optional) method to save the file settings. This method uses an ini file per each played file. It's faster than the old one.
- Added a new option in Preferences->Video: add black borders on fullscreen. If this option is enabled, black borders will be added to the image in fullscreen mode. This allows subtitles to be displayed on the black borders.
- Increased the resolution of the seekbar. Allows a more accurate seeking.
- Added 3 modes for the stay on top option: always, never and while playing.
- Added a history to the open URL dialog.
- Added new action to cycle through all aspect ratios. Assigned by default to key "A".
- It's possible to run some specified actions every time a file is loaded.
- Possibility to set up a proxy for internet connections (used for subtitle downloading).
Most important changes since 0.6.4:
- The subtitles when using the SSA/ASS library can now be further customized. It's possible to select the font, size, colors, bold, italic, outline, shadow...
- (Linux) Now smplayer tries to follow the XDG Base Directory Specification for the config files. That means the now the configuration files will be saved under the directory $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/smplayer (or $HOME/.config/smplayer if $XDG_CONFIG_HOME is not defined). If you want to keep your preferences, copy or move the files from $HOME/.smplayer to the new location.
- Added some options in Preferences->Interface to configure the floating control.
- The commandline option -ini-path has been removed and replaced with -config-path, which specifies the directory where smplayer will store its data (not only smplayer.ini).
- Added the possibility to select the adaptor for xv. Requires at least MPlayer SVN r26762.
Most important changes since 0.6.3:
- Now the dialog to find subtitles can also download the subtitle file and load it in smplayer automatically.
- (Linux) The black screen problem when using Compiz should really be fixed now.
- Added support for encoding autodetection for subtitle files. Requires a mplayer compiled with enca support.
- (Linux) Now it's possible to choose the audio device to be used with alsa (needs the application "aplay").
- (Windows) Now it's possible to choose the audio device to be used with dsound.
- (Windows) The menu Video->Screen displays now the actual available screens with their names.
- Added the possibility to add consecutive files (video_01.avi, video_02.avi..) automatically to the playlist.
- Bugfix: logout is not cancelled by smplayer.
- Now the options in preferences display a tooltip with a help message.
- Now it's possible to change the video track.
- Added the Galician translation.
Most important changes since 0.6.2:
- Two fixes for Windows Vista. Now IPv4 is used by default (connection to networks are faster). And now it really uses "gl:yuv=2:force-pbo:ati-hack" as the default video output driver. Note: this mode could give problems with some graphic cards (specially ATI), if you experience any, try the other gl variants, or just directx.
- (Linux) Added a fix for a black screen problem when using Compiz.
- Added an option to select the number of threads that mplayer will use for decoding (only works for MPEG-1/2 and some H.264 videos).
- Added the possibility to disable the audio equalizer. Seems to be necessary to use the S/PDIF output.
- Added some options to increase/decrease the speed by 1% and 4%. This allows to play 24 fps movies at 25 fps speed and vice versa.
- Fix: sometimes the playlist is not shown. Added a workaround for the problem.
- Added some checks to avoid crashes when selecting subtitle tracks.
- (Windows) Added a new submenu Video->Screen to select the screen which will display the video when using directx.
- The settings in smplayer.ini have been reorganized in several sections. (This also means most of your preferences will be lost and you will have to reconfigure smplayer again).
- Added an option to mirror the video. And now it's also possible to flip and rotate the subtitles along with the image.
- Added a new shortcut set (sda.keys) which can be loaded in the shortcut editor in preferences.
- Added two new translations: Arabic and Kurdish.
Most important changes since 0.6.1:
- Added an audio equalizer (please read Audio_equalizer.txt).
- Added a dialog to search and download subtitles from opensubtitles.org (See Finding_subtitles.txt).
- The toolbars can be configured. The user can remove, add or change the order of the buttons. Right now it can only be done by editing manually the configuration file. A graphical editor will be added in the next version. See Configuring_the_toolbars.txt.
- The single instance port can now be chosen automatically by the application.
- Possibility to compile a portable version which (by default) won't write anything outside the smplayer's folder. It won't write either anything in the Windows registry. See Portable_Edition.txt for details.
- Added the Slovenian translation.
Most important changes since 0.6.0 final:
- Now compact mode resizes the window, instead of leaving black borders.
- Added an option in Preferences->Interface which allows the user to select his/her preferred GUI. This way it's easier to use the mini GUI, for those who prefer a simpler interface with few buttons.
- One more fix for Qt 4.4. The option FAQ in the Help menu didn't work.
- (Windows) Fix: zoom didn't work well (black blocks appeared) if using directx.
- Added the Catalan translation.
Most important changes since 0.6.0rc4:
- (Bugfix) Two mplayer processes were run when opening a file. This could even make Aero in Windows Vista to be disabled.
- Seeking with the time slider works much better.
- Now it's possible to add directories recursively to the playlist.
- Added a preferences dialog for the playlist.
- The right mouse button can be configured.
- (Linux) File managers should now display an option to enqueue files in the smplayer playlist.
- (Fix) The playlist was shown for a small moment on startup. This caused problems if using compiz, as the window might not hide.
- Fix for Qt 4.4, the logo didn't show.
- Some translations have been updated (Simplified-Chinese, Italian, Ukrainian, Dutch, French, Romanian, Portuguese, Polish, Russian, Japanese, Spanish and German)
- Now the file Install.txt contains updated info about how to compile and install smplayer.
(2008-02-26) * Add the hue filter if the software equalizer is enabled. This allows to change the hue in the video equalizer. * Allow the software equalizer to be used with gl/gl2. Note: it won't work with gl or gl2 but it will work with gl:yuv=3 and gl2:yuv=3. (2008-02-25) * Bugfix: mark the right current item in the playlist if deleted an item above it. Patch by corentin1234. (2008-02-23) * Added two new options in the Subtitles menu: "Enable closed caption" and "Forced subtitles only". These two options are global because they are intended for DVDs. None of these two options have been tested! (2008-02-17) * On startup smplayer will create a lock file (smplayer_init.lock in the config directory) which will be removed once smplayer has been initialized. If another instance finds that file it will wait until the file is deleted (or 10 seconds have passed). The reason for this is to give the first instance some time to proper initialize in case several instances were launched at the same time (Windows does it if you select to "Enqueue in smplayer" multiple files). (2008-02-16) * New experimental code. New class "SMPlayer" which initializes the global objects and can parse the arguments. There's also a new main (main2.cpp). It's possible this could have broken something!
(2008-02-11) * Added gl:yuv=3 and gl2:yuv=3 to the list of video drivers. (2008-02-09) * (Windows) Screensaver: set the timeout for lowpower, poweroff and screensaver before playing, and restore on stop. (2008-02-08) * (Windows) Bugfix: don't try to convert to 8.3 short names files that don't exist. (2008-02-07) * The script create_deb should compile and create the package much faster. * Bugfix: if the mplayer binary configured in preferences is just "mplayer" and there's a directory or file named mplayer in the smplayer working directory, smplayer would try to call that file. Now it won't call it if it's a regular file or directory, but WARNING if it's a binary it still will call it (this is because it tries to convert the path in an absolute path). * Some fixes so smplayer can work ok with a relative mplayer path. (2008-02-06) * Now selection of chapters in mkv files should work properly again if using mplayer >= r25391. (2008-02-05) * (Windows) Bugfix: the buttons to select the font color in Preferences->Subtitles->SSA/ASS didn't show the color. * Removed Yurkovsky Andrey from the list of translators, as requested by himself. (2008-02-04) * The option Play->Repeat should work better now. Also if using mplayer >= r23747 toggling the option won't require to restart mplayer (uses the loop slave command instead). (2008-02-03) * Try to remember if the window was maximized after exiting from fullscreen. * Added workaround for the problem of subtitles which don't disappear when using the "Add black borders" filter.
(2008-01-30) * Added the Korean translation, by Heesu Yoon <firstname.lastname@example.org> (2008-01-29) * If a version is not recognized, assume it's an old version instead of new. This way at least the file will play. * Now smplayer should recognize the mplayer version from ubuntu packages (MPlayer 2:1.0~rc1-0ubuntu13.1 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team). * Changed some defaults in preferences: framedrop will be enabled, and subtitles on screenshots disabled. (2008-01-28) * Now the user can tell smplayer what version of mplayer is using, with the config option mplayer_forced_version. Anyway in the future there'll be a dialog to configure this. * Renamed mplayer_forced_version to mplayer_user_supplied_version. That version will be used only if smplayer can't parse the mplayer version from the mplayer output. * Now if the mplayer version can't be parsed a dialog will pop up asking the user for the mplayer version. (2008-01-26) * Now it's possible to zoom out on the video image. * Cosmetic change: now the mouse icon in Preferences->Interface->Seeking has the same size as the icons above. * Moved to old-txt some outdated txt files. * Updated Release_notes.txt, with the changes since version 0.5.62. * Now under Windows, the main window will never start hidden even if the system tray icon is shown. This should fix bug #1851817. On linux the behavior didn't change, as this is the way other applications work. (2008-01-25) * Updated the FAQ. * If changing the size of the normal (no -ass) subtitles requires to restart mplayer (because using an old version or configured this way) the size will increase or decrease in steps of 1, instead of 0.2, to make the resize faster. * Added an option in Preferences->Subtitles to set the default font scale for SSA/ASS subtitles. This has required to redesigned the section. (2008-01-24) * Using now the sub_scale slave command for -ass subtitles. This allows to change the font size on runtime. Requires MPlayer r25843. * Now the font scale is stored in two independent variables, one if not using libass and another if using it. This is because the same value produces very different font sizes. A value of 7 can display subtitles with a normal size if not using libass, but if libass is enabled the font will be huge. Important: the Scale option in Preferences->Subtitles, which sets the initial font scale for new videos, will now be only used if libass is disabled. It has been added a similar option for libass, but currently it can only be changed by editing smplayer.ini (initial_sub_scale_ass, default value 1). (2008-01-22) * Now the delay to update the video while dragging the time slider can be configured in smplayer.ini, option time_slider_drag_delay. The value by default is 100 (milliseconds). * The scale field in Preferences->Subtitles now accepts doubles. Fixes bug #1876114. (2008-01-21) * Added some new icons to the default theme taken from nuvoX (http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/nuvoX?content=38467) (2008-01-18) * "Help->Command line options" now shows an html text, so it looks better. (2008-01-17) * Added "Help->Command line options", which shows a text with help about the available command line options. It displays the same as smplayer -h but it will useful for Windows users, as smplayer -h doesn't work for them. (2008-01-16) * Now "Stay on top" is made properly, not cleaning the other flags. * The Makefile installs the files in docs/ru * Fixed a bug: Help->FAQ displayed the FAQ in the locale language and not in the language set in smplayer. * Now all the gpl.html in docs/ should be in UTF-8. * Converted docs/es/gpl.html and docs/de/gpl.html to UTF-8. * Added docs/ru/gpl.html. (2008-01-15) * Now the colorkey is passed properly to mplayer. * Added a new option: Options->Visualize motion vectors (-lavdopts vismv=7). (2008-01-14) * Added gl:yuv=3:lscale=1 in the video output combo in preferences. (2008-01-10) * Added an icon in the Instances tab so it doesn't look so empty (instance1.png and instance2.png). * Moved the seeking options in the Interface section to another tab. (2008-01-09) * Added the possibility to update the position of video while dragging the time slider (instead of updating it only when the slider has been released). Currently it's only possible to enable this option by changing the option update_while_seeking in smplayer.ini. There'll be an option in preferences soon. * Added an option in Preferences->Interface to configure that option. (2008-01-08) * Added an icon for Help->FAQ (faq.png). * Added an icon for Help->About Qt. The icon has been taken from the Qt sources (qmessagebox.cpp). This icon can't be changed by any icon theme (I don't think Trolltech would like it). (2008-01-06) * The subtitles size will increase or decrease in steps of 1 instead of 0.2 if using SSA/ASS lib (it requires restart mplayer, which is slower). (2008-01-04) * Fixed a crash which may happen if trying to select a subtitle but the subtitle list was empty. (2008-01-03) * Now the GPL in English is in html too. From now on, all documents that smplayer have to load should be in html. This is because the debian packager compress all txt files, and so smplayer won't able to find them. * The file FAQ.txt has been moved to docs/en and converted to html. * New option Help->FAQ, which will display the FAQ in your web browser. (2008-01-02) * Added a function to get the path of a translatable document. The translatable documents should be (in the sources) in the docs subdir. * Now the GPL file is loaded from that path. * Added the Spanish and German translation of the GPL v2. (2007-12-31) * Now the QTextBrowsers really should have the same background color as the near widgets. * Now the about dialog can show the version number of mplayer. * The about dialog displays the GPL in the license tab. Temporary the file with the GPL text is embedded in the smplayer executable. In the future it will be read from documentation directory. (2007-12-30) * Replaced the QLabels and QTextEdits in the about dialog with QTextBrowsers, and changed the background colors. (2007-12-29) * Split the section "Video and audio" in Preferences->General into 2 sections. * Added 3 icons in the about dialog (contributors.png, translators.png and license.png), taken from Crystal Clear. * (By user request) Added "normal speed" to the list of actions available for mouse buttons. (2007-12-27) * Added a new option in Preferences->General->Video and audio: change volume just before playing. This should fix the problem of the loud volume on startup. It sets the volume using the commandline option -volume, but WARNING: mplayer doesn't have such option, you need a patched mplayer! (2007-12-26) * New about dialog, with some tabs. (2007-12-24) * (Windows) Preferences->Drives shows only cdrom devices. (2007-12-22) * (Windows) Now idx/sub subtitles should work also when using short names. So I think this stuff is finished. * Added the Finnish translation, sent by peeaivo <email@example.com> * For the option to skip the loop filter on HD videos: now a video is considered HD if its height (not width!) is equal or greater than the value specified in the HD_height option in smplayer.ini (720 by default). * Updated the help for the loop filter option in Preferences->Performance. (2007-12-21) * (Windows) Now the short names are used too for subtitle files (except idx/sub) and external audio files. * Added a manpage for smplayer, created by Matvey Kozhev <firstname.lastname@example.org> * (By user request) The skip loop filter in Preferences->Performance has changed. Now it's called "loop filter" and the possible values are: "Enabled", "Skip (always)" and "Skip only on HD videos". If the last option is selected, the loop filter will be skipped if the codec for the video is "ffh264" and the width of the video is 1024 or greater (this value is subject to change, possibly in the future it could be configured by the user). * Support for colored console output is disabled under Windows. I don't know any build compiled with that option. (2007-12-20) * (Windows) Added a new option for the config file: use_short_pathnames. If set to true, smplayer will pass to mplayer the short filename(8+3) to mplayer. This allows to play files which contains characters outside the local codepage (mplayer bug). Currently this only works with the file to play, not with subtitles filenames or other filenames that smplayer might pass to mplayer. To test: I don't know if this would break compatibility with Win98. * (Windows) Added an option in Preferences->Advanced to enable easily the option mentioned above. * Added patch by profoX to add support for the mplayer output when compiled with -enable-color-console. (2007-12-18) * Moved the letterbox option to the filters submenu and renamed to "Add black borders". * Added the new option Video->Filters->Software scaling. Makes mplayer to scale the video up to the width of your screen. This is slow, you'll need a really fast computer. (2007-12-17) * Updated the Russian translation, and added regular expressions (Advanced->MPlayer language) for Russian, sent by email@example.com * Added patch by Florin Braghis <firstname.lastname@example.org> to support Win 98. Modified a little bit by me to allow it to compile under linux (for testing). * Added a new option: Video->Letterbox. It adds a black border around the video, according to the aspect ratio of the monitor. * Simplified the aspect ratio menu. The options "4:3 Letterbox", "16:9 Letterbox", "4:3 Panscan", "4:3 to 16:9" have been deleted. The first two are not necessary anymore because of the new Video->Letterbox option, and the last two I think they are not necessary because smplayer can simulate pan&scan since some time ago. Anyway they could be added again if someone really needs them. (2007-12-14) * Now smplayer stores the version number of mplayer in the config file and can use it to know if that version provides some feature (like the scaletempo filter) before running it. This makes possible to add "autodetection" too for options that should be passed on command line. * Now the option "High speed playback without altering pitch" (scaletempo) on Preferences->General has 3 possible values: auto, yes and no. Auto (the default) will use the scaletempo filter only if the mplayer you're using has that filter. "Yes" or "no" will force to use it or not, no matter of the mplayer version number. (2007-12-13) * (Windows) Added patch by Florin Braghis <email@example.com> to improve the file associations code. See http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=470#p470 * (By user request) Added the possibility to configure any of the mouse buttons to show the equalizer. * (Windows) Some clean up in the file associations code. Also made some changes to allow to compile in linux (for testing, file associations of course won't work, but I can see the dialog, translations and so on). (2007-12-10) * (Internal change) Added mplayerversion.h and mplayerversion.cpp which parses the mplayer version from the output of mplayer. Inforeader can also get the mplayer version. * Now the size of OSD/subtitle text increases/decreases in steps of 0.20. (2007-12-08) * Added a new option for the config file: use_volume_option. If set to true, smplayer will set the initial volume using the command line option -volume in mplayer, so that should avoid that the volume is too loud on startup. But... mplayer doesn't have a -volume option yet, you have to patch it: http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2007-December/070500.html (2007-12-05) * (By user request) Added a new option for the config file: auto_add_to_playlist. If true, new opened files are added automatically to the playlist (this is the default). Otherwise the playlist won't be modified unless it's strictly necessary (play a dvd, vcd, audiocd, or several files are opened at the same time). (2007-12-04) * When a file has stopped, the screensaver won't be allowed to run until an additional minute has passed, so it there are more files in the playlist they have time to start. A minute should be enough even for internet streams. (2007-11-29) * Now the cache setting is independent for each type of media. That means that you can disable cache for local files (faster startup) while keeping a cache for internet streams. The following options for the config file have been added: cache_for_files, cache_for_streams, cache_for_dvds, cache_for_audiocds and cache_for_vcds (the last two untested). The section Performance in the preferences dialog has been changed too, adding options for cache for files, cache for streams and cache for dvds. Note: it's not recommended to set a cache for DVDs, seeking might not work properly. (2007-11-28) * Added a new experimental code to disable the screensaver (and monitor turning off) on Windows. * Deleted the old (ancient) code for subtitle management. (2007-11-27) * If mplayer is compiled with gui support, it seems pause may not work properly. I think this is fixed now, by changing the PAUSE command in input.conf. Should fix bug #1839110. * Now the option Open->VCD is enabled under Windows. (2007-11-25) * A very important changed has been added in this revision. SMPlayer is the first mplayer frontend in the world (I guess) which uses the new slave commands sub_vob, sub_demux and sub_file (added a few hours ago in the mplayer svn). These commands, at last, allow to accurately select the subtitle track. Now you can mix without problems subtitles from different sources: embedded subtitles (like in mkv or mp4 or dvds) and external subtitles (srt, sub, idx/sub...), and now subtitle selection in mp4 files should work again (fixes bug #1806153). This possibility requires mplayer svn r25158 or above. The following option for the config file has been added: use_new_sub_commands. The possible values are: 0 (false), 1 (true), -1 (autodetect). The default value is -1. Autodetection will use the new commands or the old command according to the mplayer version. (2007-11-24) * Added Polish texts for the comboboxes in Preferences->Advanced->MPlayer language, sent by jarek. (2007-11-21) * Added support for playlists in format pls. Now smplayer can open and save pls files (only local files). Not much sure if QSettings produce a file readable by other applications (tested with xmms and it seems it works ok). (2007-11-20) * (Internal change) Added a new list in extensions: multimedia, which includes both video and audio extensions. * Now "Add directory" in playlist only adds video and audio files (not subtitles files, images or any other stuff you may have there). (2007-11-19) * Added patch by redxii, which provide a new icon for file associations under Windows.