How to use Garmin POI for paperless caching on a Nuvi
Using the Export to POI format, you can get full paperless caching on Garmin Nuvi devices.
Exporting To The Nuvi
OCM will remember your configuration settings after the inital export
- Connect your Nuvi to your computer and place it in Mass Storage Mode
- Go to File → Export → Export Garmin POI...
- Under filename, the usual POI folder on your Nuvi will be /media/GARMIN/Garmin/POI, name your .gpi file as you wish
- Under Name, choose Cache Name
- Under Description, choose Full Paperless
- You may choose any Category name you wish
- If you wish to set proximity alarms, check the "Proximity Alert" box
- You may limit the number of caches sent by checking the Cache Limit box. By default, there are no limits.
- Make sure "Include Child Waypoints" is checked
Using Paperless on the Nuvi
Steps are for a Nuvi 255w, you may need to adjust slightly for your Nuvi model
- Click Where To, and find Extras
- Click Custom POIs. If there are multiple Custom POI categories, you will need to choose the appropriate category that you set in the export step
- You will be presented with a list of caches and child waypoints.
- Clicking on a cache will show a summary of the cache (or child waypoints) details
- Clicking on More will display the cache description, hint, and logs (within the size limits of your Nuvi model)