Save media files
NetworkMiner can be used to save media files (such as mp3 files or videos) that you stream from sites such as YouTube, Last.fm, Pandora, Playlist.com or The Hype Machine. Here is a step-by-step instruction for how to start downloading media files to disk.
- Download and install WinPcap from www.winpcap.org
- Download NetworkMiner from sourceforge.net
- Start the NetworkMiner application (note: run the application with local administrator privileges)
- Select the WinPcap driver, for the network interface that you are using, in the drop-down-list
- Press the "Start" button
- Start streaming the media file (music, video etc.) from your favourite media streaming site
- Select the "Files" tab in NetworkMiner
- When the media file has been played, look for a large file in the list of downloaded files (videos downloaded from YouTube will be named "get_video.flv" and mp3 files might have the file ending ".mpeg") in the end of the list of extracted files
- Open the file or folder by right-clicking the media file in the file list
Note: Files with the ".flv" extension are best viewed with VLC media player.
Saving streamed/downloaded files – the cool way, The Big Wide Internets blog, October 24 2009.