Check with project admin(s) and other developers to confirm if it's okay to generate a release.
To build a new release, you need at least the following software on the build machine:
- Cygwin with Devel/cvs and Net/openssh packages
- Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Redistributable
- Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 SDK
- Microsoft HTML Help Workshop
- Check out a clean version of NAnt from CVS to a new location.
- Modify the following properties in NAnt.build to reflect the release that is being prepared:
- project.release.type: Change this to either alpha, beta#, rc# or release.
- project.version: Change the value of this property to match the major and minor release number.
- Update the release notes document (doc/releasenotes.html).
- Make sure the Cygwin bin directory is in the PATH environment variable.
- Start a Visual Studio .NET 2002/2003 Command Prompt or manually execute vsvars32.bat to modify all necesssary environment variables.
- Bootstrap NAnt
nmake -f Makefile.nmake bootstrap
Execute the following command to make sure src/CommonAssemblyInfo.cs is updated for the release:
bootstrap\NAnt -t:net-1.0 build
- Modify the following property in NAnt.build:
- create.assemblyinfo: Change the value of this property to false to prevent the CommonAssemblyInfo.cs file from being recreated in the distribution packages (and CVS).
- Build NAnt
Execute the following command to build NAnt and upload the release content for the web site:
bootstrap\NAnt -t:net-1.0 -f:release.xml
This step will automatically create the following files and upload the SourceForge File Release System.
- nant-<major version>-<minor version>[-<release type>]-src.zip
- nant-<major version>-<minor version>[-<release type>]-src.tar.gz
- nant-<major version>-<minor version>[-<release type>]-bin.zip
- nant-<major version>-<minor version>[-<release type>]-bin.tar.gz
- Go the SourceForge File Manager and make sure the appropriate file is selected as the default for downloading on each platform.
- Commit the following files to CVS:
- Create a tag for the release:
cvs.exe tag -cFR ''<tag name>''
where <tag name> is constructed using "rel-<major version>-<minor version>[-<release type>]".
rel-0-85-rc4 : NAnt 0.85 Release Candidate 4
rel-0-85 : NAnt 0.85 RTM
- Use this procedure to create a new file release for the nant package.
- Modify web/index.html in the build directory for the current release (eg. build/nant-0.85-rc3) to add information about the new release.
- Copy the modified web/index.html to the web directory in the local CVS working copy.
- Upload the new web site by executing the following command:
bootstrap\NAnt.exe -f:release.xml deploy-web-sf
- Verify the website has been updated, and all the links are working.
- Modify the following properties in NAnt.build back to indicate the development status of CVS HEAD:
- project.release.type: Change the value of this property to dev.
- project.version: Change this to match the version number of the next release.
- create.assemblyinfo: Change the value of this property to true to re-enable automatic creation of the CommonAssemblyInfo.cs file.
- Commit the following files to CVS HEAD:
- Post a message announcing the new release to the following mailing lists:
- Submit a news article to the following web sites:
- Post an announcement on the http://sourceforge.net/news/?group_id=31650 SourceForge web site.
- Post an announcement on the http://sourceforge.net/apps/wordpress/nant blog.
The following fragment can be used as a template for the release announcement:
Announcing NAnt 0.85.
Binary and source distributions are available for immediate download from:
NAnt is a free .NET build tool, allowing applications to be built targeting both Microsoft .NET and Mono while supporting both Windows and Linux platforms.
Release notes and a user manual are available here: http://nant.sourceforge.net/release/0.85/
Discussion of NAnt occurs on the mailing list at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bugs can be reported using the Bug Tracker at http://sourceforge.net/projects/nant.
Check the NAnt homepage for additional info at http://nant.sourceforge.net.