Welcome to the mspsim wiki pages.
MSPSim is an extensible Java based instruction level MSP430 emulator with support for loading IHEX and ELF firmware files. MSPSim also emulates some wide-spread sensorboards such as the Tmote Sky and the ESB nodes. MSPSim is developed at SICS, Swedish Institute of Computer Science. For network simulations using MSPSim the COOJA simulator can be used (it can be found in the Contiki OS repository).
MSPSim is developed to be a tool for both researchers and developers so it has features that are not only for debugging. The current feature set are:
- Emulation of MSP430 microprocessor
- Emulation of external chips and sensor networking nodes (Tmote Sky and ESB).
- Profiler for profiling time spent in function calls
- Stack monitor
- Profiling/monitoring of operating modes (on/off of components, LPM-level of CPU, etc)
- Breakpoints and watches
- Command line interface with support for setting breakpoints, print statistics, dumping memory, etc.
- Loading of ELF and IHEX firmware files
- Support remote GDB debugging
MSPSim targets a complete emulation of the MSP430 series but the current version has some limitations. MSPSim's current state of the emulation is:
- CPU Core - all instructions emulated, different modes, interrupts, etc. All memory works as if it was RAM.
- Digital I/O Ports - emulated
- Basic Clock system - emulated
- USART - emulated
- Timer A/B - emulated
- Watchdog - emulated
- ADC12 - partial emulation
- Multiplicator - emulated
There are also a set of external components that are used on several different sensor networking nodes that are emulated, some are:
- CC2420 - a packet radio transceiver (used on the Telos sky)
- MP25P80 - external flash memory (used on Telos sky)
- TR1001 - a byte radio transceiver (used on the ESB node)
- SHT11 - a temperature and humidity sensor chip
Finally there are currently two complete sensor nodes emulated: Scatterweb ESB and Telos Sky.
The mspsim project use YourKit for Java-profiling. YourKit is kindly supporting open source projects with its full-featured Java Profiler. YourKit, LLC is creator of innovative and intelligent tools for profiling Java and .NET applications. Take a look at YourKit's leading software products: "YourKit Java Profiler" and "YourKit .NET Profiler"