jGnash is useful for keeping track of account balances and performing reconciliation. You can print checks, run simple reports, write your own scripts, and import QIF and OFX files.
Please take a look at the Technical Information if you are interested in what make jGnash tick behind the scenes.
jGnash is a double entry system, but you can make single entry transactions to support easy entry of adjustments to account balances. jGnash uses Accounts instead of Categories for double entry.
Double entry in jGnash works like most other commercial personal financial applications. You will not have to learn a new way of tracking your spending.
A double entry financial application should not have to emulate the old process of a paper ledger when the same results can be achieved using an easier process. This was the reason for creating jGnash... to develop a personal finance application that is easy to use, accurate, flexible, and free!
A complete personal finance application including
- Account management
- Budget Tracking module
- Reporting module
- Support to plug-in advanced modules
The core of the program will be kept as simple as possible to minimize unwanted bloat. This means that you don't have to worry about extras like budget tracking and reporting using up valuable resources if you don't want them or only use them occasionally.
- Accurate calculations,no loss of precision or rounding errors
- Double Entry Transactions
- Single Entry Transactions
- Split Transactions
- Basic support for Investment Accounts and Transactions
- Investment transactions support multiple fee entries and account assignment for European users.
- Nested Accounts
- Multiple Currencies (Default and Custom), Securities, and custom Commodities
- QIF import
- QIF import from on-line banking sources
- OFX import from on-line banking sources
- Multiple look and feels
- Sortable account registers
- Reconciliation support
- Reporting (More will be added)
- Printable reports
- Printable charts
- PDF export
- Memorized transactions
- Update stock prices and currency exchange rates online
- Maintain historical stock prices and currency exchange rate information
- Evaluation of mathematical expressions inside decimal input fields
- Time-stamp backup files on exit
- Client / Server functionality for remote or multiple users Networking Architecture.
jGnash should work on any platform that supports Java 1.6. jGnash has been tested with Sun's JVM. A display resolution of at least 800x600 is recommended. Note: There a known issues the current releases of OpenJDK which should be fixed as it matures.
Contributions / Suggestions / Comments / Bug Reports
I welcome suggestions and comments. If you find a bug, tell me and I will fix it. Contributions and bug fixes are more than welcome. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to support the jGnash development effort feel free to make a make a donation. Donations so far have been used to cover the expense of a SourceForge subscription as well as purchase the JFreeChart developers guide.