Welcome to the GRAMPS for Windows project.
This project is for the creation of windows installation solutions for GRAMPS, an open source software project for genealogy. Despite recent advances there is still a lack of clean installation solutions for windows users. Developers which wished to support the windows community had to release their solutions on their own sites with no coordination. This project hopes to resolve these issues. Hopefully the development pace will be rapid with quick changes and test releases.
This project is not a fork of GRAMPS. Our only focus is on the windows installation solutions for GRAMPS. Something the main developers have been open to and encouraged but not motivated to do on their own. It is hoped that after we create solid installers with solid best practices for building and installing that we can merge these solutions into the main GRAMPS code and release cycle.
There are four main solutions we hope to solve for GRAMPS windows users.
- Traditional binary installation
- A compiled version of GRAMPS with all dependencies compiled with it. No other dependencies should be required. Installs in the traditional windows manner with file associations, Start Menu, etc.
- Portable installation
- A portable version of the binary intended for installation on portable devices (USB, MP3 Players, etc). No settings or setup should be installed on the computer hosts.
- PortableApps installation
- Very similar to the portable version but with additional support for the PortableApps platform.
- Source code installation
- This solution should only be intended for developers and advanced users that want to run bleeding edge code.
Please do not start editing the GRAMPS Wiki to be in line with these solutions. These solutions are still very much in flux and are not yet ready for main stream use. That wiki documents the current best practices for installation. This wiki documents how we in vision it to be.
gramps-3.1.1-4win-bin-0.1-install.exe is little better than a hack. It is only intended as a developer alpha and not meant for even user testing. It does compile and run but at the moment is little better than a proof of concept. It does not require any other dependencies. I was able to build it, install it on my laptop and run it. All I did was create a tree and add a couple of people but it did run. If you choose to try it out note that it will install to c:\Program Files\gramps-3.1.1 without any prompting so be sure you don't have anything in that directory!
Known issues include:
- Exporting - some exports don't show up. Probably some of their dependencies didn't get compiled for some reason. At least that was the case for csv.
- When closing GRAMPS a message will pop up to check the log. When you do it will tell you the spell checker isn't installed.
- For some reason there appear to be some python modules not being picked up by py2exe's import crawler, were working on it but who knows what might be missing.
--Fuzzyfonzy 00:31, 3 April 2009 (UTC)