Welcome to the GRAMPS for Windows project.
This project is for the creation of windows installation solutions for GRAMPS, an open source software project for genealogy. Despite recent advances there is still a lack of clean installation solutions for windows users. Developers which wished to support the windows community had to release their solutions on their own sites with no coordination. This project hopes to resolve these issues. Hopefully the development pace will be rapid with quick changes and test releases.
This project is not a fork of GRAMPS. Our only focus is on the windows installation solutions for GRAMPS. Something the main developers have been open to and encouraged but not motivated to do on their own. It is hoped that after we create solid installers with solid best practices for building and installing that we can merge these solutions into the main GRAMPS code and release cycle.
There are four main solutions we hope to solve for GRAMPS windows users.
- Traditional binary installation
- A compiled version of GRAMPS with all dependencies compiled with it. No other dependencies should be required. Installs in the traditional windows manner File associations, Start Menu, etc.
- Portable installation
- A portable version of the binary intended for installation on portable devices. No settings or setup should be installed on the computer hosts.
- PortableApps installation
- Very similar to the portable version but with additional support for the PortableApps platform.
- Source code installation
- This solution should only be intended for developers and advanced users that want to run bleeding edge code.